Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

UK Sterling in SE Asia [esp. Laos]

Posted by christay2009 on 23/7/2009 at 23:37

i've had a mooch around the forum but can't find a similar post, i apologise if there is one...

i was wondering if UK sterling is accepted in Laos by banks? for instance, if i brought some travellers cheques with me should i attempt to get them in dollars or in pounds? or if i brought some cash - in pound or dollar?

additionally, i'll be in China before hand. Does anyone know if you can change CNY into Kip? or is it possible to withdraw dollars in China and take them into Laos...

any help would be appreciated
thanks again

#1 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414
 Send christay2009 a private message 

Posted by chrispyrolls on 24/7/2009 at 02:37

hi chris

i always take US$ American Express cheques (no commission from Thomas Cook) these are easily changed at banks etc in Laos. You can easily change £ in backs too - but having never used the £ TC's i can't say for sure if they are accepted ...

Also if you change the $TC into Kip you are charged less commission I was charged 2% i think - into $ cash was more like 4% and upwards

Hope this helps ... have fun

#2 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Send chrispyrolls a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by BruceMoon on 30/7/2009 at 13:10

Its been my observation that SE Asian nations more or less treat US$ as their surrogate currency. That's especially the case in Cambodia, and nearly as much in Vietnam & Laos. In Thailand, Malaysia & China, they prefer them over other currencies, but that's all.

Given this, TC's in US$ will give you more freedom.

Also, as the global markets stabilise after the GFC, there probably now won't be a whole lot of movement between sterling & US$.

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.