Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Is £4000 enough to travel from Malaysia to China without...

Posted by marcwilson87 on 24/7/2009 at 04:51

Using planes?

Two of us are planning on going from Kuala Lumpa to Beijing using all overland travel.

We are going to be travelling and staying in budget places all the time and using the cheapest transport.

I'm just wondering if we are being a bit naive in our budget?

We want to go to at least Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong and China.

Marc

#1 marcwilson87 has been a member since 27/5/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by christay2009 on 29/7/2009 at 19:00

i don't have an answer to your question but from what i've read Hong Kong is very expensive - at least relative to the other countries you've listed - so i might be wise to skip. I think Lonely Planet China [2007] suggested around $250 a day MINIMUM for HK

Thanks

#2 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414
 Send christay2009 a private message 

Posted by BruceMoon on 30/7/2009 at 12:58

Marc

There are many comments on Travelfuish about how much money will I need{ or words to that effect.

My experience is that accommodation / food / travel costs:

Malaysia, about 10% more expensive than Thailand,
Singapore, about 25% more expensive than Thailand,
Vietnam, nowadays about on a par with Thailand,
Laos, about 30% cheaper than Thailand,
Cambodia, except for Siem Reap, about 40% cheaper than Thailand,
Siem Reap, about 25% cheaper than Thailand,
China, depends on the area, but factor in a little over Thailand,
Hong Kong, depends on what you do, but about double Thailand.

Elsewhere, ppl are saying that on your suggested accommodation / travel criteria, about US25-35 / day is a fair call for Thailand.

I'm not just focussing on capital cities, but all over. If you are intending to stay flashpacker hotels, etc., fly here and there, etc., you'll burn more and much faster.

Given that, you probably have about 180-220 days worth of cash without having to be worried, or miserly (assuming no disasters, robberies, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.