Photo: The original Bladerunner.

Hong Kong forum

How expensive is Hong Kong?

Posted by daawgon on 22/1/2013 at 12:56

I'm interested in Hong Kong, but from what I read, HK looks pretty pricey? Can someone compare prices to those of South Korea or Taiwan.

Thanks

#1 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,132
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by antoniamitchell on 22/1/2013 at 13:55

Hi Daawgon,
Well, I haven't been to South Korea of Taiwan, but hopefully I can still be of some help.

Hong Kong accommodation can be quite expensive. There are budget guesthouses but they can have a reputation for being grotty (ie., some Chungking Mansions hole) and the budget places with good reputations do seem to book up quite far in advance - so if you're not able to pre-book, you can easily end up spending a lot of either time or money on finding a decent place to stay.

For example, I only started looking at accommodation a couple of days before I arrived (in peak season), and had a hard time finding something that looked nice but was also cheap (even the YWCA was asking for 1400 HK$ a night for a private room). I ended up paying 600 HK$ (around £50) for a private room in a budget hotel out by Chai Wan MRT.

Transport is reasonable - it's easy to get around using local ferries, trams and the MTR, and excellent value for money (the ferry across the bay was only 5.50 HK$ if memory serves). A lot of the museums are cheap (maybe 10 HK$), if you're into that sort of thing.

Restaurants can be very expensive or reasonably cheap, depending on where you go and how careful you are - meals at cheap restaurants/cafes can be had for 20-30 HK$).

Hope that's helpful!

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 516
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by daawgon on 23/1/2013 at 11:56

Thanks Antonia, sounds a lot like New York or San Francisco prices! I did find a few shared apartments under $100. at Airbnb. Sounds like the old credit card will get a workout in Hong Kong!

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,132
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by drumbrake on 25/1/2013 at 09:34

Accommodation is expensive (even a bed in a grotty dorm is US$10 a night minimum), but food, transport and sights are cheap or reasonable.

#4 drumbrake has been a member since 21/9/2007. Posts: 3
 Send drumbrake a private message 

Posted by waytogo on 5/2/2013 at 02:09

In terms of expenses HK is pretty identical to any major Western city I'd say. As for accomodation, the cheapest single rooms are around 250. I always book through hostelworld dot com.

#5 waytogo has been a member since 1/12/2011. Posts: 25
 Send waytogo a private message 

Posted by caseyprich on 27/2/2013 at 22:26

But to do that you'd have to worry about getting a mainland visa as well - multiple-entry too. Not to mention the hassle of getting back and forth. I've recommended flying into Shenzhen to visit HK if you are coming from the mainland, just because airport tax and avoiding 'international' flight. I don't think you'd want to base yourself there.

#6 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by cardkleener on 1/7/2013 at 16:45

Hi Here's what I did /do. I went to the West Hotel in Kowloon. In the morning I went and looked and found a guest house. It's basicallty half the price of a hotel. I've been to Hong Kong 6 times and do the same thing. The reason I didn't stay at the same quest hpuse twice was because they are all booked. Otherwise I would of.
Hong Kong is a beautiful place. Food is inexpensive. Great shopping with bartering.
Enjoy and have fun and don't let the cost of accomodations prevent you from experiencing Hong Kong.

#7 cardkleener has been a member since 2/6/2013. Location: Canada. Posts: 5

Posted by robinwhite on 13/8/2013 at 17:17

Sorry never been in Taiwan or Korea. But spend some time for a party in HK. If you are booking an accommodation online without comparing with other websites could be expensive. As many websites offers deals and discounts if you book things like air tickets, car rental and hotels. I still remember my friends bachelor party in HK. One of our friend arranged every thing for us from flight to hotel and cars from tripntourpackages.

It wasn't that expensive. Even we got a discount of 20% on car rental and hotels. Even the flight tickets were cheap. I would suggest you to check http://www.tripntourpackages.com/ for cheap accommodations. I hope you will get something you are looking for.

#8 robinwhite has been a member since 9/1/2013. Posts: 18

Posted by PeterMFL on 21/9/2013 at 03:58

I think it's just as cheap as Taiwan! Barging is better in Hongkong from my experience though

#9 PeterMFL has been a member since 21/9/2013. Posts: 16
 Send PeterMFL a private message   Website   Facebook    Google+ 

Posted by Kenji67 on 19/11/2013 at 00:34

Yes, it's quite expensive in HongKong. For the accommdation, if you pick a hotel that is far from the central locations, that could be an economic option. You may save half of the prices than that living in the center. For the food, it's about $5-8 depending what you've chosen to eat. The room in HongKong is really crowded.

#10 Kenji67 has been a member since 8/11/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by thk on 5/12/2013 at 12:32

I agree that accommodation in Hong Kong is rather expensive. An ordinary hotel room can easily cost HK$1000 upward per night. Otherwise, Hong Kong is a pretty cheap place to travel compared to Japan, Singapore, and many western destinations. Transportation and food are quite affordable. Taking a trip with a taxi won't break my bank. Admissions to attractions are very reasonable too, with many popular places you don't even need to pay a dime for the best sightseeing experience.

I think overall, Taiwan is cheaper to travel, but it isn't like Hong Kong is expensive at all.

#11 thk has been a member since 5/12/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by foodtravellife on 19/9/2014 at 17:55

Hong Kong is one of those crazy cities that can be as cheap or as expensive as you like. The gap between the rich and the poor is extreme and this can be good or bad depending on which way you look at it. Very generally speaking, things get a lot cheaper the further north towards the New Territories you venture e.g. You can get a rice and meat/veg dish for around £1GBP! Accommodation will be your biggest cost and that gets cheaper the further north you go, so it depends on how far out you're willing to go. (btw Transport is great and reasonably priced in HK!)

What kind of things are you into or looking to do in HK? And we can give guidance on how much it will cost

#12 foodtravellife has been a member since 19/9/2014. Posts: 7
 Send foodtravellife a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Google+   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.