Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

Favourite hated towns

Posted by 5acrefarmer on 21/9/2010 at 17:05

Anyone got a town they sort of hate but sort of love?

I remember ages ago when I first arrived in (then) Calcutta, I hated it but ended up being stuck there for several days and grew to like it.

Often the best travel stories to tell are the ones involving pain and misery and awful awful places!

#1 5acrefarmer has been a member since 10/6/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 61
 Website 

Posted by MADMAC on 22/9/2010 at 00:51

Bangkok, aka Krung Thep, aka a name so long no one remembers it. First time I went I hated it. Dirty, hookers everywhere, traffic from hell, architecture is an abortion. Second time I loved. Go figure.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by svendj on 22/9/2010 at 14:26

indeed Bangkok, first time I hated it, second time it was ok, 3th time started loving it, 4th time loved it. 5th time still loved it, ...

#3 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by 5acrefarmer on 22/9/2010 at 16:44

I liked Bangkok the one and only time I've been there. I think this is because I got from the airport to my very pleasant accommodation without a problem so started there in a good mood.

#4 5acrefarmer has been a member since 10/6/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 61
 Website 

Posted by Tilapia on 25/9/2010 at 00:49

Like Mac, I also hated Bangkok when I first went there. It was my third major Asian city after Tokyo and Hong Kong. The air was filthy (tuk tuks still used diesel), the noise was deafening, it was hot and humid, and 5 days was more than enough. I headed straight for Kathmandu which, at the time, made Bangkok seem like a 5-star resort.

Now I consider it to be a second home and am constantly planning return trips.

Another one is Buffalo, New York. It was pretty rough a while back, but now I love the place ... even though it's a ghost town after 6:00 pm. Outstanding architecture, great food, great micro-breweries, cheap NHL tickets.

#5 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,496
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 25/9/2010 at 17:25

Buffalo? My sister lives in Toronto - not far away.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Tilapia on 25/9/2010 at 21:14

Buffalo is 100 miles from TO via the highway (QEW). Less than 40 as the raven flies. I don't think that you could find two major centres that are so close together, and so completely different from each other. Not around here, anyway.

Toronto is a good city. I like Montreal more, though.

#7 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,496
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 26/9/2010 at 19:19

I prefer both Kingston and Quebec myself. I used to live in Chaumont, near Watertown. Long time ago now.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Tilapia on 30/9/2010 at 23:17

Kingston is very similar to the town where I live. Both were built, mostly, of limestone. Kingston has done a better job of preserving its buildings, though.

Quebec City is, of course, a one-of-a-kind place. Stunning! I think it's a must-see for any visitor to Canada. However, being one that enjoys nightlife, I would have thought that you'd prefer Montreal.

Chaumont??? Wow. Another very nice area. I know that part of NY a bit. Used to go to A. Bay once in a while with my cousin, and dated a girl whose family had a place on one of the islands.

#9 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,496
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 2/10/2010 at 23:01

Alex Bay is a nice area. I like nightlife, but it's not an obsession (although salsa is - I'm a confirmed salsaholic). I just don't like sleepy backwaters for more than a day. Nothing to do. I dined with officers of 10th Mountain Division (I'm retired US Army) at the citadel in Quebec City. Fantastic experience with great food and service.

#10 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Tilapia on 3/10/2010 at 10:00

Huge salsa scene in Montreal!

Dinner in the Citadel? You're lucky!

#11 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,496
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.