Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

getting clothes made

Posted by savorygal on 2/10/2010 at 22:26

I would like to have some clothes made while in Thailand, just simple everyday sorts of things. I want the fabric to be 100% cotton or linen. I have been reading guidebooks and the consensus seems to be unless you want silk or suiting material the fabric choices are limited & mostly synthetics. Is that true?!
Any info would be appreciated.

#1 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 165
 Website 

Posted by booradley on 3/10/2010 at 00:18

Hello,
My experience is that while limited, most mid- to upscale tailors will carry 100% cotton, but the shop attendants themselves often can't tell or know what's what. I'm sure you've read about the quick test you can do: pull a thread, light match: if the thread 'melts' into a ball, there's synthetic involved. If it simply turns black/burns, likely natural fabric.
Also, remember for the best made clothes, you'll want to do a couple fittings as they construct the items to get the best fit. I've had lots of luck with Four Square Thai Tailor in Bangkok.
Good luck!

#2 booradley has been a member since 25/2/2006. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.