Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

So I leave in 2 days...

Posted by rmccauley on 3/1/2011 at 06:58

First up- apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Mods, feel free to move it!

I leave for 10 weeks in SE Asia very early on Wednesday morning- 4 weeks in Thailand, 3 weeks in Laos and 2+1/2 weeks in Cambodia.

Has anyone got any last minute tips for me, or suggestions as to must haves (that I might've forgotten)?

I think I have the main items covered- have a decent backpack, a few changes of clothes, my camera, my travel insurance, my guidebook and enough local currency for the first week!

A lot of people seem to say the less you bring the better, but I hope I haven't made any glaring omissions as its my first time....

#1 rmccauley has been a member since 20/10/2010. Posts: 3
 Send rmccauley a private message   Twitter 

Posted by tezza on 16/1/2011 at 14:42

last minute tip - take it as it comes

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Posted by caseyprich on 16/1/2011 at 16:51

i always bring a headlamp and a towel (travel towel preferred) . . . Imodium AD, Tums, and whatever painkiller you like for sore muscles and hangovers.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by rmccauley on 16/1/2011 at 17:03

Thanks you guys. Just about packed all the necessaries, although I did manage to leave my camera at home :(
Have been here about 10 days and its safe to say anything I didn't bring has been very easy to come by. Staying beside a huge shopping centre in Patong, Phuket definitely helped!!!

#4 rmccauley has been a member since 20/10/2010. Posts: 3
 Send rmccauley a private message   Twitter 

Posted by caseyprich on 16/1/2011 at 17:26

you know - i forget my camera the last two trips i went on - didn't hit me until i was on the plane. makes me wonder why i bought the thing.

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 25/1/2011 at 11:52 TF writer

Buy a cheapo camera while you're away - some of the best pics I have are from giving my camera to local children and letting them snap. You get a totally different perspective. And because it's a cheap one, you won't be worried about them damaging it (although mine never has been).

#6 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 179
 Send AbigailatPenhandInk a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.