Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

Private Messages ?

Posted by daawgon on 26/1/2012 at 18:08

I see there is a button for received and sent messages, but no buttons to actually send PM's? Can someone explain this, thanks.

#1 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,114

Posted by busylizzy on 26/1/2012 at 18:23

As far as I know, you have to find a post made by that person first, then click on the 'Private Message' link under their user name.

If you don't see the link, they don't have PM's enabled.

Raise it with Somtam.. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it to him in the past but I think he had other issues to sort out at the time.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/1/2012 at 17:25 admin

Yes it works as outlined by lizzy. Private messages are disabled by default -- a Travelfish member has to enable them first (in the Member Profile section) then the "Private message" link displays.

Once you've sent a message to someone, they show in the shortcut list in the left column of the member centre in the messaging pages, so you can click on a name there to send a message (or via the link in the forum section - like on this page, under each member name). We think this is a better system than just showing a list of all who have enabled it, as again it encouraging contacting someone you have already dealt with.

They are not enabled by default primarily due to spam. When someone sends you a message, an email is sent to your account notifying you of the message. If we enabled the messaging by default, then new members may start receiving unsolicited emails "You just got a message from X" kinda thing, which we don't think is a great experience.

Daawgon, you asked in the message you sent to me were people actually using it, there's around 1,000 messages in the system. Glad you liked the tshirt :)

If you've suggestions on how to make messaging more visible, please do let me know, but its unlikely we'd enable the system by default.

Cheers

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,577
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.