Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

How was your Gap Year

Posted by robertlewisuk on 8/11/2012 at 11:12

I'd love to hear from people who have taken a Gap Year / Career Break. I'm keen to hear your experiences, both good and bad and would you recommend it?

#1 robertlewisuk has been a member since 8/11/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 8/11/2012 at 13:57

I didn't have a gap year. In fact, until I lived in Europe, I'd never heard the expression. All my friends graduated high school and either went to college or went to work. I finished graduated from college and went straight into the Army.

My gap year is now. And it's lasted 5 1/2 years and counting. And it's been good.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by exacto on 8/11/2012 at 14:21

I'd didn't have a traditional gap year experience either, but I did take some time off college between my sophomore and junior years. That time included some significant travel.

I'm a big fan of that type of experience. Be it volunteer work or military service or foreign travel or whatever it is that fits your situation, interests, and budget, I think everyone should have some major life experience that marks the transition into full adulthood. It gives you time to look around and see what else there is in this big world, but it also gives you the chance to realize just how much you can do and just how capable you are. It is a big boost of confidence and ability.

Like MADMAC, I hope to have a later-in-life gap year too, to mark my transition into retirement with more time for fun stuff and no deadlines.

Anyway, what did you have in mind Robert? What about some travel in southeast Asia and casual work in Australia, for example? Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,650
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.