Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

Travelfish and World Nomads: A question

Posted by HungryMan on 9/5/2017 at 19:22

Hello Travelfish people,
I'm a longtime reader - at least five years now (thankyou) but only joined the site today to post this question.
Yesterday I was sent a video on Facebook that was made by your partner World nomads and, to say it is a pile of conceited garbage that I found to be profoundly offensive is an understatement.
The video is here
https://www.facebook.com/GlobalDegreeTV/videos/1277220152374703/
Now of course world nomads can make whatever they choose to, but I'd like your take on it please.
From what I understand the owners of this site are in their 40s or 50s (excuse me if I am wrong here) so they are not the audience of this particularl disaster, but as a partner I would like to know what they think of this product.
To put it plainly do you agree with it? If not, what do you plan to do?
I certainly do not and will be looking elsewhere for my insurance needs thankyou very much, despite your support of them.
Thankyou and keep up the rage, loved the newsletter yesterday.

Hungry

#1 HungryMan has been a member since 9/5/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/5/2017 at 09:00 admin

Hi Hungry,

Thanks for your message. I agree with you, we are not fans of the video at all and we were extremely disappointed to learn of World Nomads involvement with it. (We'd never heard of the company making the films till a link to the vid was sent across).

Earlier today we contacted World Nomads regarding our thoughts on it and explained that we felt it runs against pretty much everything we believe in as far as inclusivity and sensitivity of travel is concerned.

Totally unrelated to us getting in touch, this afternoon World Nomads ceased their relationship with the company making the videos. In my opinion (FWIW) this was a good decision. Live and learn and all that.

We're in our 40s not 50s ;-)

Cheers & thanks again

Stuart

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,862
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by exacto on 10/5/2017 at 10:28

I guess the video didn't bother me as much as it did others, as every new generation wants to think it is special, unique, and has discovered an entire new way of approaching the world. More power to them.
I did enjoy the viewer comments on the video, which ranged from smug to pretentious wanker. The people who created this video are definitely full of themselves, but that reflects more on them alone than on anyone else, including both my (older) generation and the rest of the millennial generation.
I'm in my 50's now, and have been backpacking since I was in my 20's - doing exactly the types of things the video makers seem to think they pioneered - since likely before they were born. But Tony Wheeler and others set the table for my generation, and people like Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs were doing it before the beat generation even had that name.
This kind of generational smack talk is silly, but as I said above, it is all about the smack talker and nothing about the rest of us. I am glad to see World Nomads disavow this silliness. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,753
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by gecktrek on 10/5/2017 at 17:48

personally i don't have a problem with the video. i view it as marketing material that is directed and made to appeal to the younger demographic. and assume that is what turns them onto travel, great. being from the 'been there, done that' demographic, i can understand why that younger crowd would want to differentiate themselves from older generations. what i don't understand is the confected outrage to anything that is viewed as outside the norms, do you really want to homogenise everything? i thought travel taught tolerance to differences?

#4 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 135
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.