Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

Authentic travel

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/10/2017 at 19:37 admin

Interesting piece from a 2012 conference on the “place of authentic travel in a post-authentic world”.

Striving for “authentic travel” (whatever that actually means) is a bit like the “adventure” and “eco” travel terms which predated it, and, have largely been taken over and watered down to meaning little by brands and marketing. The whole “eat like-” and “travel like a local” are similar streams of thought/marketing, but they never seem to feature McDonalds, which is always packed with locals whenever I walk past...

The piece is interesting though (and very funny at times), and while it trots out some of the travel Vs tourist tropes, this jumped out:

“Few people ever forget their first experience of foreign travel. A magical doorway swinging open onto other worlds, other peoples … A sense of adventure is often as hard to recapture as it is to forget. Even in an age of mass tourism, the sights and sounds of an alien culture experienced first hand and for the first time remain indelibly etched on the memory.”

For me this is absolutely the case, I could still tell you exactly where I went on my first trip decades ago—something I'd struggle to do with any trips I've done since. That’s not to say the rest were forgettable...

Anyway, worth a read—you can read the whole piece here.

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,863
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.