Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

Living in Thailand on 30,000B a month

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/7/2009 at 20:22 admin

Ajarn.com (a website for English teachers) has an excellent post that follows a guy living on under 30,000B a month in Bangkok.

It's interesting particularly because (a) the guy's diet is terrible and if he'd planned his food a bit better he could have saved a bit more; and (b) it wasn't actually all that hard -- boring yes, but not hard.

Certainly brought back memories of when I was being paid 140B an hour to teach English at AUA in Bangkok!

Anyway, well worth a look -- the full story is here: http://www.ajarn.com/Banter/30kamonth.htm

You can see another similar piece here:
How much do I need to live in Bangkok

Soooo, if you're done travelling and feel like hanging out for a bit -- there's some costs for you!

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,566
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 8/7/2009 at 00:30

I have a wife and daughter and help support my wifes' family. But we own the house - so no rent. I live on about 75,000 baht a month - and I live VERY good. Have a maid, a laundry service, get a massage three times a week, go out to dinner daily.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by DLuek on 8/7/2009 at 01:04 TF writer

This is straying off the subject of Bangkok, but I've been comparing teaching English in Vietnam to Thailand, and it seems like Thailand is financially not a good option in comparison. In Thailand, average salaries are just above average living expenses. Some how, in Vietnam salaries are really high - between U$10 to $20/hour - and of course living expenses are among the cheapest in Asia. So while it's possible to save upwards of U$800 or more per month in Vietnam, it seems one would be lucky to save U$100 a month in Thailand. Who knew? Vietnam is right below Taiwan, Japan and South Korea for, financially speaking, best place to teach in Asia.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,173
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Thaiman on 21/7/2009 at 16:09

Have just read the piece on Ajarn.com and found it pretty interesting.He did really well for a young bloke but I'm sure he could have done better,food wise.As Somtam says his diet is terrible.More fruit and vegetables and less Western food would have seen a fair saving.And as for cigarettes,well[better not say too much].Can understand the grog and going out.
Gives a pretty good insight as to what can be done on not too much money.Hope too retire in Thailand,not Bangkok though, so anything like this is useful.

#4 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.