Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

Wildlife in Asia

Posted by Thaiman on 23/7/2009 at 15:19

Just wondering what sort of wildlife has been spotted throughout Asia?.Not talking about National Parks but rather outside of Parks.For me, I've come across a little,mainly Garrocks[Squirrels]which seem to be reasonably common,even in the suburbs of Bangkok.Other creatures include Water Goannas,a few Snakes and the usual toads.Think I may of once seen an otter out of the window on the BKK/Chiang Mai train.

#1 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201
 Send Thaiman a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 23/7/2009 at 16:51

Monkeys. I see monkey's fairly often. We had two the day before yesterday hanging off the temple roof across the street.

Snake - I've seen a few snakes. Including a Krait which I steered clear of. A friend of mine came face to face with a Cobra - which he said was unblievably quick when it reared up. I've only seen captive Cobras.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Thaiman on 24/7/2009 at 02:37

'Monkeys.I see monkeys fairly often'

Can't say I've seen any of those in the wild,MADMAC.Only the Lopburi type ones which are more or less semi-domesticared and they don't do a lot for me.They just want to pinch anything you're carrying as they reckon it contains food.
Seen a few Bats as well.

#3 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201

Posted by CunningMcFar on 24/7/2009 at 03:35

we've seem some monstrous water monitors in the Thonburi canals, I mean HUGE, certainly not the wilds, but an amazing sight nonetheless.

#4 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Send CunningMcFar a private message   Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Posted by Thaiman on 24/7/2009 at 13:29

Water Monitors seem to be pretty common.Seen them in Lumpini Park and also saw one in a canal in Singburi.

#5 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201

Posted by BruceMoon on 25/7/2009 at 08:06

Thaiman

Is your opening sentence [color=purple"
Just wondering what sort of wildlife has been spotted throughout Asia? limited to Bangkok / Thailand, or...?

Cheers

#6 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by BruceMoon on 25/7/2009 at 08:08

Try again...

Must've been the red wine last night...

Thaiman

Is your opening sentence "
Just wondering what sort of wildlife has been spotted throughout Asia?
limited to Bangkok / Thailand, or...?

Cheers

#7 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Thaiman on 26/7/2009 at 03:45

OK,I'll be more specific,Bruce.How about S.E. Asia?But I'm not really concerned that much.If someone wants to say they saw a Tiger in the middle of India thats fine by me.

#8 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201

Posted by idreamofdurian on 26/7/2009 at 09:39 TF writer

I live in Singapore so everyday my encounters with wildlife are limited to birds, geckos, and insects. There's some crazy insects even in Singapore.

When I lived in Thailand (near Nakhon Sri Thammarat) I'd see macaques, snakes, skinks, the larger geckos (tock-kay), scorpions, etc.

#9 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by Thaiman on 28/7/2009 at 15:42

I don't know why but Thai's just seem to hate the Toukay.They don't seem to mind the smaller Geckos though.

#10 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.