Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

Christmas in South East Asia?

Posted by nja21 on 3/8/2009 at 02:28

Hi,

Me and my mates have six weeks planned for South East Asia which cross over Christmas. Anyone have any tips / advice for some good places to go for Christmas / New Year? We haven't planned too much yet, other than having narrowed it down to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos.

Cheers.

#1 nja21 has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by BruceMoon on 3/8/2009 at 04:31

nja21

6 weeks, four countries...

When will you have time to party?

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/8/2009 at 06:56 admin

Ko Pha Ngan for New Years would be an obvious candidate, but as per bruce -- four countries in 6 weeks -- you're going to be moving a lot! Check the suggested itineratries (centre column at top) for some suggestions.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SBE on 3/8/2009 at 15:55

One of the things I love about SEA is the fact that it is still possible for Christmas to pass by totally unnoticed in some places. ;-)

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 4/8/2009 at 12:39

"One of the things I love about SEA is the fact that it is still possible for Christmas to pass by totally unnoticed in some places. ;-)"

Not where I live. Except for the fact that it was freezing, we had Chritmas music playing in the supermarkets, the lighting in town looked just like Christmas lights, and it was even a bit nippy (but not snow). We had a Thai Santa at Lotus!!! In my wife's village, though, Christmas is just another day (unlike New Years - where everyone has an excuse to get drunk and women grope me).

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by BruceMoon on 4/8/2009 at 12:56

John(MAC)

"where everyone has an excuse to get drunk and women grope me.

Are you complaining or bragging?

Cheers

#6 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by MADMAC on 7/8/2009 at 08:01

"Are you complaining or bragging?"

Complaining. The women who grope me are never the ones I want to grope me.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by monkindy on 8/6/2010 at 13:55

Hey, so i dont think you ever got an answer. Im going to SEA this summer coming (10/11) and will be there over there during the xmas and new years period. Can anyone sugest any exciting places to be during this time? I already know od the full moon party on in Ko Pha Ngan.

#8 monkindy has been a member since 30/5/2010. Posts: 15

Posted by KazAussie on 10/6/2010 at 14:24

Depends on what you are after.... if it is party party party I can't be of much help I am afraid.

What surprised me last year when I was there was how much the people of HCMC are in to Santa, not so much the "Christ" side of Christmas, but there were certainly smiling santas in all the stores, little kids dressed up in red and white etc etc. I wasn't there for Christmas day but in the lead up.

For Christmas we wanted to do something special. We are not particularly religious, but Christmas had always been big with my extended family, so I knew I was going to miss them.

What we ended up doing was volunteer teaching at a school just outside Battambang in Cambodia. It was really the experience of a lifetime. Only actually work a couple of hours a day. The kids were wonderful, and we stayed in the homestay organised by the bloke who started and runs the school.

We got to eat with his family for lunch and dinner, and in the mornings he took us to the market for breakfast. The chance to just hang with some locals while doing a bit of good work was my idea of a truly special Christmas.

If you are interested the school is at http://www.kngo-home.org/2.html. I highly recommend it.

#9 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Posted by eddyirving on 11/6/2010 at 12:19

I can't help you much for Christmas, as we spent it on the slow boat from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang (though we had a good game of drinking UNO in our room in Pakbeng with some people we had met on the boat), but I was in Vang Vieng over NYE and it was great.

Went tubing on NYE day, got back, had a shower, had dinner with more people we met that day and then went out. Lots of people, good vibe; it was really fun. I would think will be able to have a good time anywhere on the normal trail... if having a few drinks is what you consider a good time over those particular holidays.

#10 eddyirving has been a member since 10/8/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by Sophia_India on 14/6/2010 at 20:49

I would definately stay in Thailand for new year. Probably go to Ko Phang yan if you really want to party or another island like Ko Phi Phi if you feel that Ko phang yan will be too much!

#11 Sophia_India has been a member since 2/6/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 45
 Send Sophia_India a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by nja21 on 15/6/2010 at 11:12

Thanks everyone. For what it's worth we ended up having Christmas on a party boat on Halong Bay and New Year in Nha Trang, both of which I would recommend.

I agree with eddyirving - at the end of the day I would say that if you are on a tight schedule you need to find somewhere on your route to make the most of the occasion and you won't have much trouble. Slow Boat for Christmas and tubing for New Year - both fine choices! Although Christmas night in a Pakbeng 'hotel' may not be the most comfortable way to round the day off! :)

#12 nja21 has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by Breggs on 23/6/2010 at 03:45

I spent my last Christmas in Tonsai, in Krabi, one stop over from Railay West. I had an AMAZING time there during Christmas and New Years. If you are looking for a calm, car-less, beach paradise, with really intense parties at night, then I would definitely recommend it. As a rock climber, my 3.5 months spent there spread out between September '09 and May '10 have been the best of my life, but even the non-climbers love it. It's the rock climbing center of SE Asia and there are great guides for beginners to get into it and climbing to the best views in Thailand, in my opinion. See everything from up to 120 meters higher up than everyone else. There's amazing snorkeling nearby and it's walking distance from 2 epic beaches, Railay West and the even more beautiful Phra Nang Beach.

So my recommendation is Tonsai Beach, for the paradise, the calm, the adrenaline rushes and the parties!

If you want to hear more, or see pictures, feel free to contact me, I kept a blog.

Rob Breger

#13 Breggs has been a member since 23/6/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 5

Posted by monkindy on 2/8/2010 at 16:24

Hey nja21
What was the name/website of the party boat you went on at Christmas?
I will be in SEA Nov10/Feb11. Plan is to spend Christmas in Vang Vieng and Halong bay at New Years.
Any other ideas that anyone has would be much appreciated and im sure there are many other interested to know as well.

#14 monkindy has been a member since 30/5/2010. Posts: 15

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.