Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

Full moon party out .......Roy Fest in?????

Posted by mikethediver on 23/9/2009 at 20:26

It appears the 'authorities' are going to clamp down on the goings on at the full moon parties. About the same time as I heard that, Phuket announces it's to hold a Roy Fest, descriped as:

" KARON, PHUKET: Phuket is about to witness the birth of its very own dance music festival – ‘Roy Fest’, which debuts on Karon Beach this weekend.

In Southern Thai, ‘roy’ means ‘fun’, and the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is hoping the more than 50 international DJs and musicians it has booked for Roy Fest will help the party live up to its name.

The TAT has invested more than 22 million baht to convert Karon Beach into the ‘ultimate beach dance party’ and they’re expecting to draw thousands of party goers to have fun on the white sand"

Great idea, a drunken party at night in the low season where the deaths from drowning this year have topped 33 (for Phuket)!!

#1 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Website 

Posted by Sparts on 1/10/2009 at 05:28

Mike, have you ever lived? Personally I've seen it and done most of it so have little intention of doing it all again. But I can see that the "youngsters" bring a lot of money to Thailand and they need to be catered for. Not everyone comes to Thailand to spend all their time diving, walking round temples or sightseeing. Kids go to Thailand for a wild time and they are going to dance and drink too much and probably take some class A's too. If there have been so many deaths perhaps the investment s a good thing? Clearly there is a problem that needs to be addressed, possibly though additional investment and policing as TAT seem to have done?

#2 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 169
 Where has Sparts been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.