Photo: Wong's Bar, Bangkok.

Idle banter forum

Should I go home for Christmas?

Posted by christay2009 on 3/11/2009 at 11:45

I am having a troubled time at the
moment mulling over whether to keep on traveling over Christmas rather than going
home as planned. So far I pretty nicely
under budget - although lets see what Bali does to that! - and reckon if I went to cheaper
countries like Cambodia Vietnam or Thailand I could probably get another 2 months. Or I could head somewhere like new Zealand etc

a
nice problem to have but still a problem!

#1 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414
 Send christay2009 a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 3/11/2009 at 22:35

Only you can decide that Christy. For me the answer would be hell no. I would stay here as long as possible - which in my case is the rest of my life. But some people get homesick, or want to be with family over the holidays... Only you can judge what's best for you.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by exacto on 4/11/2009 at 02:23

Chris,

Definitely a personal choice. You could always pop over to Koh Maak and spend a few days with us if you'd like. :-)

I've always enjoyed spending non-holiday times with my family more than holiday times. It seems that everyone is so busy over the holidays, and that we have more fun together when there are no holiday-related pressures or expectations.

If you've got the time and the money and aren't bored or lonely, I can definitely see why you'd want to keep on truckin'. Any of those places you mentioned sound good to me, and the weather will be nicer than in the UK in January. Seize the day. Regards.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by christay2009 on 4/11/2009 at 08:17

I think I was probably being hopeful and lazy in thinking someone would just tell me what to do haha it is idle banter afterall ... but I appreciate the help. At the moment I'm on the lonely side slightly but
maye just because I've just got to Bali so it's all new and I've not met any people yet. I might just play it by ear. Take the flight out of Indonesia when I comes and just see what happens. My trip has been so unplanned it's untrue! I've certainly created
some unnecessary carbon emissions

#4 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414
 Send christay2009 a private message 

Posted by somsai on 5/11/2009 at 10:09

cancel your return flight, see about a refund, look for an apartment and a job, find a local to give you very private language lessons. Go native.

#5 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568
 Send somsai a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/11/2009 at 18:53 admin

That's great advice somsai ;-)

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by laallee on 6/11/2009 at 03:58

Christmas is a special time for families, for me , id head home!
you can always resume your travels but you cant replace time spent with family at christmas----even the crappy moments!
lee.

#7 laallee has been a member since 27/4/2009. Posts: 46

Posted by greenman42 on 6/11/2009 at 11:40

Somsai, I'm planning on doing something like that myself, how easy is it to do?
Perhaps this should be a new thread.

#8 greenman42 has been a member since 18/9/2009. Posts: 63

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.