Photo: Because India.

India forum

Ideas For India

Posted by chrisb4 on 24/2/2013 at 13:56

Hi everyone, I'm planning a backpacking trip across India from June to August this year. I'm looking for culture, as opposed to wild partying etc. My two questions are these:

Given the period when I plan to travel, June to August, which areas would be best to visit weather wise?

I've been told three months may be too much time to spend in India, and I would like to maybe spend a few weeks outside the country, so which neighbouring countries would people recommend, again given the weather for that period etc.?

Also, just any advice/tips/suggestions people have would be much appreciated!

Thankyou everyone,

#1 chrisb4 has been a member since 9/5/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by Rukus on 25/2/2013 at 07:09

From June to September is the monsoon season in India, it has desert in the west, alpine tundra and glaciers in the north, humid tropical regions supporting rain forests in the southwest, and Indian Ocean island territories that flank the Indian subcontinent. So very much different climate zone.

3 months is deffinatley not to much time, not enough time in my opinion if your crossing the whole country and want to see culture. India is a huge country man, take your time. As for neighbours many people go to Nepal in conjunction with India. Or mynanmar is also very beautiful and rapidly developing, not as close as Nepal though.

#2 Rukus has been a member since 28/10/2011. Posts: 22
 Send Rukus a private message 

Posted by maddiii on 2/3/2013 at 01:52

HI to all them....
I am planning for holiday in shimla next month...we are four memebers but i have main issue regarding to hotels which i will stay with my family..
So please give me fine solution..

#3 maddiii has been a member since 2/3/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by aashton on 3/8/2013 at 01:49

June to October is a monsoons season in India. India actually has two monsoons - the southwest monsoon & the northeast monsoon. The southwest monsoon, which is the main monsoon, comes in from the sea & starts making its way up India's west coast in early June. By mid July, most of the country is covered in rain. This gradually starts clearing from most places in northwest India by October.

#4 aashton has been a member since 3/8/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by tejayasarapu on 27/12/2013 at 01:52

i am planning to go Goa next month.. any suggestion which place to stay and which place to visit

#5 tejayasarapu has been a member since 20/12/2013. Posts: 19

Posted by SmithTim on 14/4/2014 at 07:07

Indian Culture. There is no such thing called Indian Culture. The word "India" itself was coined by the invaders of past. This Country is multicultural Society based on Hindu Dharma. Even these vary from place to place, region to region and language to language. Culture is continuous evolution of Art of Living, History, Fine Arts, Architecture,Epics, Poetry, Astronomy etc.
It depends on you likes and dislikes... Goa, Rajasthan forts, Taj Mahal etc are popular tourist spots. There are tailored travel packages to see tourist attraction. If you love it free style with out a guide.. you need to get a lot of information before you land in India.

#6 SmithTim has been a member since 14/4/2014. Posts: 6

Posted by gauravks on 29/4/2014 at 01:24

Best Weather: October to Feb

Cultural Place: Delhi, Lucknow, Rajasthan

#7 gauravks has been a member since 18/12/2013. Location: India. Posts: 29
 Send gauravks a private message   Website 

Posted by Filia on 6/5/2014 at 06:02

3 months is not too much! I have traveled all over India in more then a year and still haven't seen it all!

Yes it will be hot and yes there is the monsoon. But still the north will be beautiful. Go to Ladakh for example for buddist culture. Go to the south and vistit Kerala. It won't rain the whole day and there will be less tourists. So if you do not mind roughing it a bit you will have a great time! Nepal is nice but in summer there isn't much trekking.

Decide what you want to see. Culture is everwhere!

#8 Filia has been a member since 6/5/2014. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.