Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Weather - a massive error?

Posted by emma066 on 22/3/2010 at 04:10

We're heading to Thailand (North) in mid May, then

Laos - end of May through to beginning of June

Cambodia - beginning of June

Vietname (South to North) - mid June through to beginning of July

-fly out of Hanoi on 12th July.

My question is... have we chosen the most absurd time to hit this region in terms of rain? We have the old ponchos handy but I don't fancy being swept down the Mekong. Obviously not going to cancel anything but would rather be PREPARED!

Appreciate there's info for each country on this site but some of it conflicts with info from other sites so looking at getting some first hand info!

Thanks everyone!

#1 emma066 has been a member since 21/10/2009. Posts: 60

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/3/2010 at 07:49 admin

Yup you'll be travelling in wet season. I don't think that is a great mistake tho. They'll be fewer travellers for sure and, especially in Laos, transport may have a few more delays. But on the upside, Angkor Wat is awesome in the wet!

Note also that wet season generally isn't all day torrential downpours but rather a few hours of heavy rain, most days.

Cheers!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by busylizzy on 22/3/2010 at 14:43

You'll welcome the rain as a respite from the heat!

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by somsai on 22/3/2010 at 18:43

Most of your trip is in the good part of the wet season, often no rain or very little. I always felt the later it got the wetter, culminating in August.

#4 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568

Posted by emma066 on 22/3/2010 at 18:47

Thanks! This is good news Somsai!

I'm so excited, only 7 weeks till we fly!!

#5 emma066 has been a member since 21/10/2009. Posts: 60

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.