Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

4 weeks Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia

Posted by babiguling on 13/4/2010 at 08:13

Hi

I'm going to be in SE Asia for about a month. I'm flying in to Hanoi and then out of Saigon. I wanted to know if a month is sufficient time to go from Vietnam to Laos, then Thailand, then Cambodia, then back into Vietnam to fly out of Saigon. The main attracitons I want to see are Halong Bay for a couple days, Luang Prabang, Bangkok, Siem Reap and Angkor Wat, and then Saigon. Is a month sufficient time to do this overland or will I most likely be traveling every other day? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

#1 babiguling has been a member since 13/4/2010. Posts: 12

Posted by caseyprich on 13/4/2010 at 09:00

Hanoi/Halong Bay (5 days)
Travel to Luang Prabang - 2/3 days (add a day, stop in Nong Kiaow)
Luang Prabang (4 days)
Travel to Bangkok - 2 days (stop in Vientiane over night?)
Bangkok (4 days)
Travel to Siem Reap & Angkor Wat (4 days with stay)
Travel to Saigon - 1 day to PP - 1 day to delta - 2 days in delta
Saigon(3)

I think that's around thirty days - just an idea.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 13/4/2010 at 12:15

It is, but again, it's a lot of time on buses. These road distances are a lot longer than they look on the map. I despise long bus rides (or long plane rides for that matter) so personally, I try to minimize the length of time I am sitting on one. Full days spent on a bus, for me, totally suck. I do it when I have to, but I would never plan a vacation around doing it.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by babiguling on 13/4/2010 at 12:30

Thanks for the help, that iternary looks feasible

#4 babiguling has been a member since 13/4/2010. Posts: 12

Posted by caseyprich on 13/4/2010 at 16:41

Bring two small print many page books. Salman Rushdie is nice, or one of the larger Murakami, Eco - something fiction and riveting - that's how I make it through awhole day bus rides. And I always try to use a day for the ride so I can enjoy the scenery. But then I like to be in the place I'm going to for a few days to recover and explore.

Ultimately I agree with MADMAC again - its better to spend a month in one or two countries to really feel them out. In some of my previous experiences I've had a 3 week trip to just Northern Laos, a 3 week trip to Northern Thailand and the Eastern Islands, and 2 weeks in the Mekong Delta. That is a small area on the map but some long bus trips. I still itch to see Cambodia, Northern Vietnam, Souther Laos, but I try to save them for another time when I can take my time in them.

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by JavaJunkie on 4/5/2010 at 10:04

Just to reiterate, try to minimize bus time -- you will have a much better trip for it. My husband and I thought we were mentally prepared for the 8-hour "VIP" bus trip from Vientaine to Luang Prabang , and it still sucked the life out of us.

In your itinerary, I would definitely consider flying Luang Prabang to Bangkok -- there is nothing on that trip that you won't see in other places, just a lot of bone-jarring miles -- and I think AirAsia has that route on sale right now.

#6 JavaJunkie has been a member since 19/1/2010. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.