Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

4 weeks in vietnam/laos/cambodia

Posted by daz on 11/5/2010 at 17:29

Hi guys, i just signed up to the site and i must say im quite impressed by the helpfulness of the members here! makes me even more excited for my trip in Nov-Dec 2010.

There are 2 of us travelling, arriving and departing from Ho Chi Minh. we are in our early 20s and are interested in seeing cu chi tunnels, vang vieng (anywhere else you guys might suggest..).

We plan on travelling by train (plane possibly) from saigon to hanoi, through to laos and down into cambodia.

I know there isnt much info but only just starting to plan the trip now and thought this would be a great place to start!

Thanks for your time,
Dale.

#1 daz has been a member since 11/5/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by chrispyrolls on 11/5/2010 at 18:58

Hi Daz

A few initial comments to get the ball rolling...

Train up from HCMC to Hanoi is a great way to see the country - possible stops en route to look into are Nha Trang, Hoi An, Hue... there are more but that would mean more time here and less time everywhere else! Into Laos from Hanoi by road is a lenghty trip ... 24+ hours to Luang Prabang I would say .. so given your time contraints I would fly that part. From LP it's a straight run down to Vientiane (via Vang Vieng) and then onto to Pakse for Si Phon Don (Don Det probably - more your age group). A great spot this, kick back in your hammock overlooking the Mekong .. very nice indeed. From Don Det it's again an easy run to Siem Reap (most places will organise this trip for you)- but again plan a few stops on this as it will be a long bus ride otherwise!

Check out the Before you Leave section on here for itinerary ideas - the above route can be done with more or less stops, but basically it's the route you will probably take.

have fun
chris

#2 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Send chrispyrolls a private message   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.