Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Staying Dry- Rain Jacket? Poncho?

Posted by AdamZee on 16/5/2010 at 02:09

I am having the hardest time deciding what would be the best option as far as staying dry in the rain. I prefer jackets over ponchos but I am worried about the heat and "muggyness" while in eastern thailand, cambodia, and vietnam during the end of June through to August.
I want to get opinions since I am having trouble finding what everyone likes. I have seen a couple rain shells from REI and Arcteryx, one Gore-tex and the eVent waterproof liners. Just not sure if it is worth 200-300 bucks just to sweat to death in them. I'm also curious if I should buy this in Asia when I get there.
Thanks for all your help!

#1 AdamZee has been a member since 12/1/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by busylizzy on 16/5/2010 at 03:56

Are you doing any serious trekking?

If not, I would tend to not bother with a jacket. I carried a very cheap and nasty plastic poncho that folded up into a tiny pouch. I only used in once; the rest of the time when it rained I just sheltered under a roof, in a restaurant or wherever.

I also had a small, lightweight umbrella - but only used it once or twice. And I used it more often to keep the sun off of me then the rain!

Personally, I couldn't stand the thought of wearing any sort of raincoat over there - even with air ventilation bits in them. Get a cheap poncho to carry 'just in case'. And you can buy those cheaply over there. And look at getting a cover for your pack. I would be more concerned about keeping my stuff dry than me!

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Archmichael on 16/5/2010 at 08:01

Yeah, don't buy a rainjacket to take. Spend the $200-300 on extra days in SE Asia. A very small umbrella can be handy. A cheap poncho can be had there, if needed. As Busylizzy said, a rain cover for your pack is more essential than a plastic coat for you. Unless you like saunas, I suppose. ;)

#3 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Posted by CunningMcFar on 16/5/2010 at 23:32

we carry ponchos--cheap, convenient, and easily packable. Found good ones here at home in an outdoor store, large enough to fit over backpacks, under $20. Came in very handy on an Oct Cambodia trip, used many times.

#4 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Send CunningMcFar a private message   Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 17/5/2010 at 01:18

Stay under cover when it rains hard... I would say that's by far the prefered course of action. I live here and I don't use rain gear. Last time I tried I got soaked anyway.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by AdamZee on 17/5/2010 at 03:51

Awesome, thank you for all the help and quick responses. This is almost what I predicted but I am glad I got some definitive answers. I think I'll try to take shelter and if not possible pull out a cheap poncho.

#6 AdamZee has been a member since 12/1/2010. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.