Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia. Currency??

Posted by reneejordan on 3/12/2010 at 11:32

Hi Everyone!

I'm from Australia and I'm heading to Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - Cambodia in feb for 7 weeks. cant wait!!! :)

i was just wondering what currencys i will need when in Laos - Vietnam - Cambodia will i need to have $USD on me????? if so how much should i have???

or will i only need the local currency??

I'm already familiar with Thai Baht.

thank you :)

#1 reneejordan has been a member since 4/11/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by exacto on 3/12/2010 at 12:32

hi renee,

as you mentioned, thailand is well-developed and uses thai baht pretty much exclusively. the only place i've ever been asked to pay in dollars was in jewelry or tailor shops. otherwise, baht is all you need.

the lao kip used to be sparsely used even in laos, but it has gained strength and popularity throughout the country. on my last trip there this past january, i didn't use anything other than kip the entire time.

cambodia still uses US dollars as the main currency, and you'll get cambodian riel as change for purchases, which you can in turn use for small purchases, tips, stuff like that.

i haven't been to vietnam, but from what i hear from others you'll do best to pay in dong.

international ATM's in thailand, laos, and vietnam dispense local currency. international ATM's in cambodia dispense US dollars. if i have my facts dated, i'm sure someone will jump in with the updated information.

you can read more on this topic at: https://www.travelfish.org/feature/103

by the way, you may want to have US dollars on hand to pay for visa on arrival in Laos and Cambodia, for example. either way, i usually keep a bit of US cash on hand for emergencies, visas, and stuff like that. hope that helps. cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Rasheeed on 3/12/2010 at 14:23

Sounds right to me...

#3 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by reneejordan on 7/12/2010 at 12:28

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!! Much appreciated

#4 reneejordan has been a member since 4/11/2010. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.