Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Finding accommodation without booking ahead

Posted by Squeezie on 24/12/2006 at 08:21

I've had a look in the accommodation section on this site and have a pretty good idea of the kind of thing that is available. My question is this: I'm travelling on a fairly open itinerary thru Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam and don't want to be in the position where I have to be in a certain place on a certain date due to accommodation being booked, so how easy is it in practice to just rock up from the bus/train station/dock and be able to get reasonable accommodation? I've only ever done organised tours before so I'm a little apprehensive about this, especially since I'm travelling solo.

Any advice much appreciated.

#1 Squeezie has been a member since 12/11/2006. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/12/2006 at 08:35 admin

Hi Squeezie,

99 times out of 100 you'll have no trouble finding a room. It may not be your first, second or third choice, but you will almost always be able to find somewhere. Bear in mind that the vast majority of backpacker orientated places in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam cannot be booked in advance and rely on walk-ins only.

That said, if you have your heart set on a particular place on a particular day, then go ahead and book it.

Hope that helps

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Squeezie on 24/12/2006 at 08:39

Sweet - thanks Sontam. That sets my mind at ease.

#3 Squeezie has been a member since 12/11/2006. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.