Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Thailand - Cambodia - Vietnam

Posted by Manners on 18/2/2011 at 05:26

Hi, I am a 23 year old female from the UK travelling alone to SEAsia in March. Doing the Roam Cambodia Vietnam tour and feeling pretty paranoid about it. I have heard that I will have an amazing time which I am sure I will but for a first time traveller it's all pretty daunting. Anyone have any advise for me - or anyone travelling around that time?

I'm sure it's going to be a blast!

#1 Manners has been a member since 18/2/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by caseyprich on 18/2/2011 at 08:57

Transportation is easier to arrange than you think - so long as you can find the bus station - that's a great word to learn in the local language. In fact, make sure to bring a good phrasebook as if you're traveling alone that may be the only thing that stops you from feeling very isolated - even a phrasebook conversation can make what would be a boring night a blast.

Otherwise, don't worry too much about the language because there is usually someone around that will speak some English and can help you out if you're having trouble communicating.

And remember - there are a lot of people doing the same thing as you - its very likely that you'll meet a fellow traveler on the bus/tuk-tuk/boat/hostel lobby and you'll hit it off and spend the next days traveling the same route. Keep your schedule open and you'll be more likely to have a good time.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by Thomas922 on 19/2/2011 at 18:46

Is "Roam" some kind of specialized tour?

#3 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352
 Instagram 

Posted by Manners on 20/2/2011 at 02:59

Yeh, the name of the tour is called 'Roam Cambodia Vietnam' I booked it through STA and I think the tour is through Gap Adventures. It's a 20 day trip from Bangkok to Hanoi.

#4 Manners has been a member since 18/2/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by Thomas922 on 30/3/2011 at 07:28

So How is it going? Let us know!

#5 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352
 Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.