Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Fly to Vientiane or Luang Prabang from Hanoi???

Posted by kgroarke on 27/6/2011 at 21:57

I Plan on flying from Hanoi to laos but i am unsure about where to fly to in Laos, choosing between Vientiane or Luang Prabang .
Once in Laos i plan on making an onward flight journey from Laos to Northern Thailand so i would like to have an idea where is best to fly to thailand from in Laos

A) Fly from Hanoi to Vientiane - then make my onward journey by bus to Luang Prabang. And then fly from Luang Prabang to Chang Mai (or other airport in N.Thailand)

or

B) Fly from Hanoi to Luang Prabang - then make my onward journey by bus to Vientiane and then fly from Vientiane to Chang Mai

Has anyone ever done this route before? if so which way do you think would be the easiest? efficient and cheap etc. ?! Also not fully sure where is best to fly into thailand.. im guessing Chang Mai.

Finding it hard to find any treads that discuss this route so would be very helpful if anyone has had to make this decision before.....

Will be happy to feed back on route once i have made trip

Thanks!!!

#1 kgroarke has been a member since 12/2/2011. Posts: 17

Posted by caseyprich on 28/6/2011 at 07:16

The route map for Lao airlines confirms my suspicion that the only way to fly into Northern Thailand from Laos is through Luang Prabang. In which case you'd want to fly into Vientinne first - which isn't really bad because your two plans are a mirror image so it was really 6 in one, 1/2 dozen in the other.

Not sure how often the flight departs either - so make sure to look into that if you're on a tight schedule.

http://www.laoairlines.com/flights/route-map.html

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 28/6/2011 at 07:24

Flights on Lao Airlines are a bit pricey when compared to Air Asia, et al. Depending on what other flights you plan on taking, you may want to consider the Discovery Pass. Flights are a bit cheaper, but you need a minimum of 3 flights on Bangkok Air, Lao Airlines and/or Berjaya Airlines.

More info on the Bangkok Air website; http://www.bangkokair.com/en/plan-your-trip/discovery-airpass/routing.php plus there have been several discussions on the TF forums so I won't bother linking to them. Just search on Discovery Pass.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.