Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Family with kids in hotels

Posted by Blimes on 9/7/2011 at 14:24

I will be traveling to SE Asia (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam) with my wife and three children (ages 14, 11, and 9) next year, and I have a question about hotels. Will I have trouble putting 5 people in a room? Will I need to get 2 rooms? Or do only adults count, and so I should look for double rooms and then get cots or something? We will be spending time in both big cities and small villages. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Blimes has been a member since 9/7/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 11/7/2011 at 02:29

The majority of hotel and guesthouse rooms are geared for two people (twin or double beds) or at a stretch three people. With kids 14,11,9 which is kind of borderline "adult" by some standards it will be difficult to stick with one room in which case two adjacent (preferably adjoining) rooms will likely be necessary. The additional cot concept is usually geared towards a couple with baby or one young child, while five people in total could well be pushing it. Do some searching for places with "family rooms" or else probably be prepaed to take two rooms.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by Tilapia on 11/7/2011 at 09:14

If you're landing in Bangkok, or going there for any period of time, there are many hotels / guest houses with family suites, a couple of them in very good locations. Viengtai, Navalai River Resort, and New Siam Riverside are three that I know of.

You may spend a bit more in these spots than you would for a couple of rooms somewhere else, but with at least two of them you'll have a huge room with balcony facing the river (looking west ... nice sunsets!). And, like I said, the location is great ... on Thanon Phra Athit in Banglamphu, right by the Chao Phraya River Express Boat pier (the Banglamphu Pier ... Tha Banglamphu), seconds from some very good eating places, walking distance to all the main attractions, and easy to get to either from the airport, train station, or any bus station.

Viengtai is closer to Khao San Road, and has family suites that clock in less than the riverside places. Location isn't as good for views, etc., but it's still very good.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.