Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Internal Flights - prebook or wait till we get there?

Posted by drutherford on 8/2/2007 at 10:36

Hi

We're off to SEAsia in May and have 8-9 weeks travel through Nthern Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

At this stage this will all be done overland, however we would definitely consider flying a few legs if we run out of time.

My question is, is it ok to wait until we get there to book any flights? We don't want to be restricted to a time schedule and so I am reluctant to prebook flights in case we don't end up needing them, or in case we have to rush to a particular city in order to catch the flight.

Are prices very high if you booked a flight at the last minute a day or so prior to leaving? The flights I am thinking we may need are Hanoi to Phuket; Vienne to Pakse and/or Hue to Hanoi.

Thanks in advance
Debbie

#1 drutherford has been a member since 2/1/2007. Posts: 22

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/2/2007 at 18:14 admin

Hi Debbie,

Is there such a thing as a Hanoi to Phuket flight?

In any case, Vientiane to Pakse and Hue to Hanoi should be fine booked relatively close to departure -- fares should be no different, though I'd be wary of the Vientiane to Pakse one filling up as its less frequent than Hue to Hanoi.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by drutherford on 12/2/2007 at 06:06

Thanks heaps,

Sorry, i don't think there is a Hanoi to Phuket flight, I just assumed there was without checkign first!

I've heard a few horror stories about Laos internal flights. Is there anything to be concerned about? In particular I've heard that the aircraft and sometimes landing strips are abit dodgy.

Thanks again for any info :-)
Cheers
Debbie

#3 drutherford has been a member since 2/1/2007. Posts: 22

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/2/2007 at 21:47 admin

Domeatic flights in Lao are ok ... Some of the planes doing the remote routes would probably be better placed in a museum, but the regular trunk tourist routes should be fine.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.