Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Xmas in South East Asia

Posted by simon1984 on 16/9/2011 at 18:45

I'm travelling south east asia from November to February and wondering where the best place is for Xmas and New Year? I'm travelling on my own so I'd like to be somewhere that's reasonably busy, but other than that I'm happy to travel to wherever.

I know there is mention of this in other threads, but it would also be great to hear from other people spending Xmas in SE Asia.

Thanks for your advice

#1 simon1984 has been a member since 16/9/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by Lo87 on 30/9/2011 at 23:03

Hey Simon,

I too will be in SE Asia the same time as you except I'm arriving in two weeks, I am getting ridiculously excited! I have no idea where to go for Christmas and New Year either so hopefully some of the more experienced travellers can give some suggestions. I think I will probably go to one of the main cities though in whichever country I am in...hopefully there will be alot of other solo travellers away from home too. x

#2 Lo87 has been a member since 30/9/2011. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 10
 Send Lo87 a private message 

Posted by travla on 4/11/2011 at 18:07

Im doing Ko Phangan for new years and xmas. There will definitely be lots of people there.

#3 travla has been a member since 5/10/2011. Posts: 6
 Send travla a private message 

Posted by JordanS91 on 4/11/2011 at 21:40

Vang Vieng for X-Mas and Koh Samuii/Phangan for NYE!!!

#4 JordanS91 has been a member since 13/9/2011. Posts: 1
 Send JordanS91 a private message 

Posted by DKBK on 4/12/2011 at 00:37

It all depends on your idea of a perfect Christmas and New Year's holiday. You can celebrate the holidays in Bangkok with a splash, or head up to Chiang Mai in the North of Thailand where the weather is perfect at this time of year and spend New Year's eve watching all of the amazing paper lanterns being sent up into the sky for good wishes. I have lived in SE Asia for 8 years and while I sometimes miss being at home during the holidays, I've never once been disappointed with celebrating the holidays here. Thais and Laotians LOVE holidays and they'll use any excuse to celebrate!!! Happy Christmas and New Years!!!!

#5 DKBK has been a member since 3/12/2011. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.