Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Advice on my itinerary through SE Asia

Posted by Camcam83 on 7/11/2011 at 12:08

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are planning to go travelling Southeast Asia for three months. I would really appreciate some advice on our itinerary and especially on the weather in each country we'll go through. Here is what I planned for the moment :

- 20th February : arrival in Bangkok
- 21/02 to 05/03 : North Thailand (2 weeks)
- 06/03 to 25/03 : Laos (3 weeks)
- 26/03 to 08/04 : Cambodia (2 weeks)
- 09/04 to 29/04 : Vietnam (3 weeks)
- 30th April : Flight Hanoi-Bangkok
- 30/04 to 19/05 : Thailand - South & Islands (3 weeks)
- 20th May : Flight from Bangkok or Phuket

We want to finish our travels with some scubadiving in the south of Thailand and I'm not sure how the weather would be like in May in this area. Are the scubadiving conditions good enough ?

Any advice welcome !
Thanks for your help

#1 Camcam83 has been a member since 7/11/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by altmtl on 7/11/2011 at 12:39

Sounds like a good plan, but I'd suggest you start with the scuba diving if you're worried about the weather, then go north... and do the rest as you planned. You'll look more like a seasoned traveller with a nice tan :)

I'd also suggest you don't over plan by booking flights too much in advance as you may want to stay some places a little longer. Personally I'm a big fan of night trains. You can still catch a little beach time at the end in Viet Nam or South Cambodia

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by Camcam83 on 7/11/2011 at 16:00

Thanks for your reply. Starting with the scuba diving is a pretty good idea. I'm gonna think about it. By the way, I'm not planning on booking internal flights in advance. I reckon I'll book only the flight in and out of Bangkok. ;)

Still some questions remaining :
Can anyone advise on the weather in Thailand's islands in May ?
Is March/April a good time to travel through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ?

#3 Camcam83 has been a member since 7/11/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by altmtl on 7/11/2011 at 16:40

You seem awfully concerned with the weather, I suggest you do a google search about the weather conditions in those countries... Or use this site i.e. https://www.travelfish.org/weather/vietnam - On a side note, no one can predict the weather... i.e. the flooding in BK right now for instance... good luck.

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by tyler on 7/11/2011 at 18:11

I think that if you stick to the Andaman side of things the diving/weather should be fine from Jan to May. I have dove from Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lipe from January until late April the past few years with no problems...Aside from the full moon!
Your itinerary seems reasonable. Have fun! The link posted above should give you all the info you need regarding the weather.

#5 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.