Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Can't miss experiences

Posted by kwal2483 on 31/1/2012 at 10:46

I will be leaving for SE Asia in October for about 6 months. My itinerary is pretty open right now but I was wondering what are some can't miss festivals/parties/experiences in Southeast Asia?

#1 kwal2483 has been a member since 28/1/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Akahige on 31/1/2012 at 22:01

Renting a motorbike and driving around northern Thailand, or Lao, or, Vietnam, anywhere in hilly/mountainous areas is an experience of great beauty. It's a bit hard, physically, and of course it's somewhat dangerous. But if you are careful, you'll be as safe as can be and I found it really rewarding.
I have heard good things about Songkran festival, the Thai/Lao new year, especially in northern Thailand (Chiang Mai, Lampang). Must see by all accounts.
I personnally had a good time in smaller localities in Lao during the Tet (chinese/viet new year) as many people were just partying it up and invited me to their celebrations, so try to be around areas with vietnamese during their new year^^
If you're into sports, why not join the Angkor marathon in december?

#2 Akahige has been a member since 31/1/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by kwal2483 on 1/2/2012 at 09:20

I will definitely look into the Angkor marathon, thanks. I've heard when renting a motorbike there are all sorts of scams is there anything I should do or be aware of?

#3 kwal2483 has been a member since 28/1/2012. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.