Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Planning a solo trip for three weeks

Posted by wags3671 on 4/2/2012 at 16:35

I am planning a solo trip in December for roughly three weeks, ending in Bangkok to meet my boyfriend for another 9 days. During my three weeks solo I am thinking of the following:

- flying into Hanoi, staying there for three nights (maybe do a side trip trekking)
- then to Hoi An for two nights
- then down to Ho Chi Minh city and the Mekong Delta for a couple of nights.
- Maybe Do Phu Quoq.

- Then to Cambodia,
- Phnom Penh for three nights
- Siem Reap for four nights

Then to Bangkok to meet him.

What do you all out there think? To much? Enough? Different things? I know one can never leave. I don't want to be super hectic and I will fly where I can.

Look forward to your suggestions
Thanks
Andrea

#1 wags3671 has been a member since 17/1/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by exacto on 5/2/2012 at 11:34

Hi wags,

If you have the full three weeks to make this loop as you mention, then I'll think you'll be okay. Even then, however, you may want to scale back the itinerary a bit to make sure you aren't too rushed. For example, you could cut the trek out of northern Vietnam or skip Phu Quoq.

Flying from place to place as you mention can save time, but still takes at least half a day with travel to/from airports, waiting for flights, etc. Moving around too much adds to your costs and takes away precious time from your holiday doing the things you went to do in the first place.

If you arriving in Bangkok at the start of your trip from far away, then you may want to schedule a night or two in Bangkok to recover from the long journey and jet lag. Also, unless you are really interested in Angkor Wat, then three nights in Siem Reap may be enough.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,650
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by caseyprich on 5/2/2012 at 19:23

I wouldn't think about adding Phu Quoc since I'm sure you'll be hitting up islands in Thailand. With two weeks in from Hanoi to HCMC I think you should consider flying to Hue and spending a night or two there and then taking the 2hr train to Da Nang, from there its only 20 minutes to Hoi'an. I'm not the biggest Hoi'an fan, but you may like it for two or three nights, that still gives you a good pace if you plan to fly to HCMC.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.