Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

A word on dorms and security

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/3/2007 at 08:43 admin

Having just talked to a traveller at the guesthouse I'm staying at, she arrived late last night and crashed in one of the dorms (8-person dorm). While the guesthouse offers a locker, she opted not to use it and woke this morning to find her daypack gone. In it was her brand new camera, iPod, all her paperwork (passport, credit cards, travellers cheques etc). A bit of a bum start on the first night of what was supposed to be a two-month-long SE Asia trip. She's (understandly) pretty cut up about the whole thing, and given four of the people in the dorm have already upped and checked out, nobody will know what really happened to her gear.

Moral of the story, if your guesthouse has a locker service -- USE IT. And don't assume that all travellers are totally honest -- unfortunately too many opt to prolong their travels by ripping off other travellers.

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,577
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by skinnylatte on 20/3/2007 at 19:10

That sucks, especially since I think I know which country and guesthouse that was in.

#2 skinnylatte has been a member since 19/7/2005. Posts: 57
 Website 

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/3/2007 at 19:45 admin

Yeah -- I didn't mention the name of the place -- nor the country for that matter -- as I think it's general good advice -- watch your stuff, and if there's a safe or a locker -- use it!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,577
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.