Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Most tolerable overland travel?

Posted by minerman on 30/3/2012 at 14:21

I am planning on doing a mix of overland travel and flights on my upcoming trip. I'm trying to figure out which overland trips are more tolerable. There's a few trips that I am questioning and they all seem kind of bad. What parts should I skip with a flight?

Bangkok to Siem Reap
Pros: Most of the travel is in Thailand, should be nice.
Cons: Khmers try to scam you at the border.

Phnom Penh to Vientiene
Pros: A lot of cool towns in between. Don Det looks cool.
Cons: Lengthy trip and hassle across the border

Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai
Pros: A boat ride sounds like a good way to see the countryside.
Cons: Lengthy trip, boats are uncomfortable

OK, so which sucks more? Which leg would you avoid at all costs? Is there a more obvious route that I'm not thinking of, to hit all these sites?

I should also mention, my goal is to hit all these places in 3 weeks or less. I know that is very ambitious and very likely not to happen. But I'm just trying to think in advance...what land travel should I not attempt?

Thanks!

#1 minerman has been a member since 2/3/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by MADMAC on 31/3/2012 at 00:36

PP to Vientiane is a VERY LONG overland ride. If you didn't break that up with a number of stops on the way, I'd dare say you are at risk for suicide. This would suck at a level that starts approaching the Bataan death march. I'd fly that leg for sure.

Three weeks to cover that much ground isn't going to be fun. So if you just want to see these specific places, then I would simply fly to each one - because they are so far apart. Eating half your vacation in the process of moving about kind of sucks...

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by sayadian on 31/3/2012 at 02:06

'Khmers try to scam you at the border.'
Just ignore them.
BTW The scammers are everywhere not just at borders though I admit Poipet is just about the worst advert for Cambodia there is.
I think Vietnamese scammers probably take the prize though. The Khmer are ***** cats in this department.
Mac's right about that Phnom Penh to Vientiane leg,it's a killer but it would be a shame to miss Kratie and Ban Lung and then across the border the Pakse area and the islands are beautiful.

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by sayadian on 31/3/2012 at 02:11

Am I being censored here for using the word pussycat?
It means mild and unthreatening in english.Why is this happening?
Better not mention 'French connection' This is PC gone mad

#4 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by caseyprich on 31/3/2012 at 02:50

BKK to Siem Reap isn't that long - so no worries there. If you want to see BKK-Siem Reap-PP-Vientiane- Luang Prabang - Chiang Mai in 3 weeks you certainly need to fly into Vientiane, you'll be missing a lot of cool stuff in Southern Laos but you simply don't have the time for it anyway. In fact, if you want quality time in those areas I think I'd agree with Mac and say you've got to fly at least two of the legs - Luang Prabang via boat-bus to Chiang Mai takes something like three days of travel at a comfortable pace.

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 31/3/2012 at 04:20

I think the computer automatically censored it because you separated the words hombre.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by sayadian on 31/3/2012 at 06:53

It would be nice to beaver your way up the Mekhong too,don't you think so Mac?

#7 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by MADMAC on 31/3/2012 at 22:09

Well, you wouldn't be the first guy to do it, that's for sure saxib.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by sayadian on 1/4/2012 at 01:22

'Saxib we are natural born fighters. In is in our bloods we are Suldaans no man can rule us, no one maan tells us what to do.'

#9 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by MADMAC on 1/4/2012 at 06:30

That sounds like a Somali... and explains their difficulty in achieving any kind of political unity.

#10 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.