Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary advice needed - please help!

Posted by greeneyes1983 on 3/4/2012 at 10:50

This will be mine and my boyfriends first trip to SEasia and we hoping to do the following itinerary on our own using internalflights where possible. We have one month. We only want to visit the places wehave listed, and we enjoy beaches, trying different food, wildlife and seeing afew of the sights but are not overly bothered by the temples we want to visitthem, but wouldn't spend days looking round them, we do like to have somenightlife ( but not to the extent of full moon parties)

Vietnam - (7days)
Land at Hanoi - 2 days
Ha long bay cruise - 2 days
Ho Chi Min City - 2 days
Travel to Cambodia - 1 day

Cambodia ( 9days)
Sihanoukville - 5 days we want to spend time relaxing on the beach here
Travel to SR by bus -1 day
San reap - 2 days (include trip to angkor wat trip to Phnom Kulen the waterfalls) Travelto bangkok - 1 day

Thailand (12days)
Bangkok - 2 nights
Chaingmai - 3 nights (including 1 night / 2 day trek)
Krabi/ Railay / ko lanta - 7 nights (end the triprelaxing on beaches)
Bangkok flight home - 1 night

two spare nights in case we are delayed anywhere due to missed transport or illness.

Please let me know your thoughts and if we are tryingto achieve too much or missing out on things suited to us very much appreciated!!

#1 greeneyes1983 has been a member since 3/4/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by altmtl on 3/4/2012 at 12:50

You're going much too fast... you'll spend most of your time in transit. Personally I'd skip Sihanoukville, the only must see in Cambodia is Siem Reap - (3 days) I'd spend more of your beach time in Thailand. Or more time in Viet Nam... Hoi An (shopping) & Nha Trang (beach time), especially since the visa for VN is so expensive, why waste it?

Just my opinion.

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by busylizzy on 3/4/2012 at 14:46

I agree with altmtl - there's a bit too much moving around, and time spent in the wrong places (in my opinion)./

Reduce time in Sihanoukville and add more days to Siem Reap . In fact, I'd almost suggest skipping Cambodia and spend the extra days in Vietnam. You'll find better beaches than S'ville in Thailand and Vietnam, and your time is so short in Siem Reap that it's probably not worth all the overland travel time that you will spend to get there.

There is so much more to see in Vietnam besides Hanoi/Halong Bay and HCMC (a big city) - as pointed out by altmtl above.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by chinarocks on 3/4/2012 at 16:54

Skip Cambodia for sure on this trip. A great country but food and beaches (your stated interests) are better elsewhere. Fly HCMC to BKK.

#4 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.