Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

16 days to travel Southeast Asia- Itinerary HELP?

Posted by kelcatalina on 4/4/2012 at 16:35

Hi all-

Just wanted to see if I could get some itinerary advice for a 2 week trip to Southeast Asia. My friend Jenn and I will be going at the end of July. We would like to fly into Bangkok (or some other beginning spot) and then head to Bali or one of the islands but want to do this trip without any air travel, just train/bus travel.

From the forums that I have been reading, 2 weeks is not enough time to travel that long of a stretch and actually enjoy it, so am wondering if anybody has any suggestions for us on the top places we should hit in 2 weeks time that is train travel friendly. We are beginners at this so any route advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Kelly

#1 kelcatalina has been a member since 4/4/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by busylizzy on 4/4/2012 at 18:17

Two weeks to travel overland to Bali? It's not going to happen. (Check the map!)

If you really want to go to Bali, then fly into Bali direct (if you can). Otherwise, fly into Kuala Lumpur and get a cheap flight to Bali.

Alternatively, keep to your suggestion of flying into Bkk, and make your way down to the Southern Islands in Thailand. There are a group of islands on the southern east coast (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao) which you could quite happily spend 2 weeks in. Likewise, there are various islands on the west coast that are worth checking out. (Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Kradan... all quite different, and it depends on what you are looking for as to which one's I'd recommend.

Also weather may dictate which coast you would want to go to. If July, weather will be a bit more reliable on the east coast: https://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

Check out this page for island info: https://www.travelfish.org/islands.php

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by altmtl on 4/4/2012 at 19:02

agree with busylizzy...

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by maeyoon on 4/4/2012 at 22:41

How about this:

1. Food & Culture: Fly into Bangkok (2-3 days)
2. Island Life: Overland south towards islands - Koh Samui, etc (1 week)
3. Food & Culture: Overland into Malaysia via train to Butterworth (and ferry to Penang), train to Kuala Lumpur (if only to take advantage of low cost flights into Bali)
4. Island Life: Fly from Kuala Lumpur to Bali and explore the whole island (another week)
Recommend at least 3 weeks to cover the above itinerary...2 weeks is definitely too short and most of it will be spent doing overland journeys.

#4 maeyoon has been a member since 13/3/2011. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.