Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

108 Days trip planning (Thailand, Lao, Cambudia)

Posted by mixxat on 30/4/2012 at 12:51

Hello! I am planning trip in 2013-2014.
Home-Bangkok-Chiang mai-Chiang rai-Luan prabang-some trekking in north- Luang prabang-Vang vieng-Vientiane-Savannakhet-Pakxe-Si phan don-Stung treng-Siam rep- Pnomh pen-Sihanoukville-Koh kong-Koh Chang- Koh samet or Ko sichang- Bangkok- Home
All trip by train, bus and boat.
First in Thailand 25 nights, Laos 29 nights, Cambudia 26 nights and Thailand 28 nights.
I think activities: Thaiboxing,Trekking,canoeing(kayak),Fishing,Swimming and motorcycling, and of course lot of chill and relax! :)
Budget is about 4 400 dollars
What you all think about that? Something better places? Better activities? Budget? How many days in where? Maybe NO some city? Transportating? something what?
Sorry for bad english.

Lot of thanks for the answers!

#1 mixxat has been a member since 29/4/2012. Location: Other. Posts: 42

Posted by exacto on 30/4/2012 at 18:34

Hi Mixxat,

That's $40 per day or about 1200 baht. You could certainly survive on that, but as prices keep going up in the region, you might want to have just a bit more money to spend per day. You can save money by not moving around as much, staying a week or so in each place and getting better prices on accommodation that way.

Also, when you return to Thailand, you will only get 15 days vias exemption at the border (depending on your nationality), so figure that into your plans too. You might need to apply for a Thai visa in Phnom Penh before you return to Thailand. I hope that helps. Best wishes.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by mixxat on 2/5/2012 at 10:08

Thanks!

Can i get 30 day visa in border?
Is Flying to thailand possible/smart way? That way i get 30day visa?

#3 mixxat has been a member since 29/4/2012. Location: Other. Posts: 42

Posted by Tilapia on 3/5/2012 at 10:29

Hey mixxat,

No, you cannot get a 30-day visa at the Thai border. You could fly, but if you do that you'd have to go back to Phnom Penh and then fly, most likely, to Bangkok. Then you'd have to make your way to whichever island you want to go to. It would be much easier to just follow the route that you have already set for yourself.

You might be better getting a 30-day visa in Vientiane or Phnom Penh while you're there just to avoid the hassle.

Also, if you're watching your money, Koh Samet is quite expensive compared to places like Koh Wai, Koh Mak, and some spots on Koh Chang.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by mixxat on 5/5/2012 at 09:57

Thanks! That helps.

I check Koh Wai and Koh Mak on websites and these seems interesting.

#5 mixxat has been a member since 29/4/2012. Location: Other. Posts: 42

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 8/5/2012 at 07:21 TF writer

You can see Khmer boxing for free when you're in Phnom Penh. On a Saturday or Sunday, ask your guesthouse which TV studio the boxing is that day. The closest is CTN studio, about 15 minutes out of the city by tuk tuk. You will get up close to the ring and have a very Cambodian experience!

Very easy to travel by bus around Cambodia, although you might wish to avoid night travel.

Northern provinces in Cambodia such as Mondulkiri and Ratanakiri offer some hardcore motorbike rides, but it depends on the time of year - you don't want to do some of those roads in rainy season!

#6 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 179
 Website 

Posted by caseyprich on 8/5/2012 at 09:03

Vientiane-Svannakhet

You're skipping Tha Kheak and Konglor Cave and a motorbike loop that I've only recently heard chatter about myself - but sounds fantastic. Those discussing it say that the trip is better than Bolaven Plateau, which I put as my top experience so far in SE Asia. I'd recommend both of those as possible 4/5 day excursions while in Laos. Possibly skipping past Savannakhet unless for an overnight stay before heading on to Pakse . You'll get plenty of hiking in the north and the area around Savannakhet wasn't that accessible for excursions. Rather save the time and use the bike in Pakse to also go down to Champasak, a delightful little town with a good warm-up for Angkor Wat.

Also Luang Prabang -some trekking in the north-Luang Prabang

Could be better done coming in via Huay Xia and going directly on to Luang Nam Tha or Mung Sing to do the trekking via overland, then overland down to Luang Prabang. Unless you want to do the trekking around Luang Prabang and/or have your heart set on the boat ride down the Mekong to Luang Prabang.

As always, keep the schedule loose and a rough trail with the option to cross some things off if you find a place you want to stay longer - max out those visas for each country and enjoy yourself.

#7 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by mixxat on 10/5/2012 at 03:50

Very good! Lot of thanks for you all!

I have lot of thinking and planning before i go :D
The trip what i write previously is only plan and maybe i change some places but these messages help me a lot and sound like very good.

Especially that Huay Xia and Luang Nam Tha or Mung Sing trail seems like very interesting way to go Luan Prabang.

#8 mixxat has been a member since 29/4/2012. Location: Other. Posts: 42

Posted by mixxat on 17/5/2012 at 11:06

How many days i can spend in north thailand? is two weeks too long time for chiang mai and chiang rai?

#9 mixxat has been a member since 29/4/2012. Location: Other. Posts: 42

Posted by exacto on 17/5/2012 at 13:49

"is two weeks too long time for chiang mai and chiang rai?"

not in my opinion. i could easily spend two weeks just in chiang mai, but that would be more of a food, spa, relax holiday than exploring. if you have the time to spend in the north, there are plenty of other places to visit, like phetburi, sukhothai, lampang, chiang dao, mae hong son, and naan, just to name a few. there is quite a bit to see and do, so it depends more on how much time you have and what types of things are most important to you.

#10 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by mixxat on 20/5/2012 at 08:46

aa okey.
I think to go first Chiang mai 7days then about 2-5 days in fang or other and then Chiang rai 7days before i go lao

#11 mixxat has been a member since 29/4/2012. Location: Other. Posts: 42

Posted by mixxat on 22/5/2012 at 03:16

This seems like going to 4 month trip :)
If i have time.....

#12 mixxat has been a member since 29/4/2012. Location: Other. Posts: 42

Posted by Vickyjin on 12/6/2012 at 14:55

That is the great time for your holiday. The first traveling should Cambodia.

#13 Vickyjin has been a member since 15/4/2012. Posts: 15

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.