Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Saigon - Bangkok, itinerary critique please

Posted by pollitoriquito on 4/6/2012 at 15:31

Hi everyone,

I will be arriving in Saigon on September 15th to meet my girlfriend who is currently on a solo RTW journey. We will be approx. 1 month in the area and we fly back to Europe from Bangkok.

I know it's rainy season, but our idea is to get some quality beach time if possible (some rain doesn't bother us). Additionally we're not big "tourists" in the typical sightseeing, temple visiting, museum-ing sense. We prefer eating and drinking (not hardcore clubbing, however) our way through our travels, seeing the local scene as best as possible. Our budget is 1000-1500 euros each for this month (not including flights to and from SEA).

Here is a first itinerary, and I'd really like some feedback and any suggestions for improvement!

Sep 15-18 Saigon
Sep 18 Fly to Phu Quoc
Sep 18-22 Phu Quoc
Sep 22 Boat Rach Gia - Hon Chong
Sep 23 Hon Chong - Kep
Sep 24 Kep
Sep 25-26 Koh Tonsay
Sep 27 Kampot
Sep 28-29 Phnom Penh
Sep 30 Battambong (we really want to ride the bamboo train)
Oct 1-2 Siem Reap
Oct 3 Siem Reap or Transit
Oct 3-8 Island Ko Chang/Ko Samet (depending on weather) / on this leg we'd also consider cutting a night for one night in another place en route to Bangkok, i.e. Pattaya (just for the spectacle), Sri Racha, etc.
Oct 9-12 Bangkok

Any comments, ideas, criticisms?

Thanks in advance!

#1 pollitoriquito has been a member since 14/4/2012. Posts: 15

Posted by MADMAC on 5/6/2012 at 01:55

I would cut the timelines... just drop what you don't get to and make sure you get to Bangkok with a little time to spare so you aren't rushed making the flight.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Rasheeed on 28/7/2012 at 23:29

Seriously. Why is it that whenever someone posts an itinerary I know what I'm going to say already...

Too fast. Get here and realize that travel is slow here. Which days are travel days? Most trips here can take a good hunk of a day if not the whole day...

#3 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Send Rasheeed a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by ehenness on 29/7/2012 at 16:45

I would double check Battambang...I've heard the Bamboo train is no longer running???

Not 100% sure though.

Something else has to go, this itinerary doesn't leave much time for delays.

#4 ehenness has been a member since 22/3/2011. Location: Canada. Posts: 18
 Send ehenness a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.