Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

8 Weeks in SE Asia - Okay Itinerary?

Posted by beamodisett on 26/7/2012 at 14:41

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a trip right now to visit a friend in Myanmar and I want to visit other countries as well. Below is a dream itinerary that hits all the points I want to see, can you let me know if this is way too much? I have two months...

Fly into Bangkok and spend a day or two adjusting, then spend 10 days in Myanmar before flying back to Bangkok to make my way via Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong where I'd like to get the slow boat to Luang Prabang. I'd make my way south via Vang Vien and Vientiane . All by ground except between Bangkok and Yangon. I would then fly from Vientiane to Hanoi and visit Ha Long Bay. Then I would either take a train to Hue and Hoi An -OR- cut out Hue and Hoi An and fly from Hanoi to HCMC to visit Phnom Penh and Siem Reap before flying back to Bangkok and then home.

Thanks in advance for help! I actually don't mind ground transport, and did a lot of rough ground travel in Africa, so that doesn't bother me, but I don't want to be on transport every day.

#1 beamodisett has been a member since 26/7/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by georgerobinson on 17/8/2012 at 04:12

You can have it managed when considering the duration of two months, though you have to make some adjustments in between.

#2 georgerobinson has been a member since 17/8/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by chinarocks on 17/8/2012 at 04:28

How about spending longer in Myanmar and cutting one or two countries?

For example, Cambodia. If you go to Bagan in Myanmar then you will not "need" to see Angkor as much. And PP is just another capital city (nice, but nothing special IMO). I would consider cutting Vietnam as well (just for logistics). It's a great place but 3 weeks in three countries (Laos, Thailand and Myanmar) seems nicer and more relaxing and cheaper.

#3 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.