Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia in 3 weeks

Posted by squaretiger on 2/8/2012 at 06:31

Hi all. New to the site and looking for some advice on a rough itinerary my friends & I have put together for our first time to SE Asia. We've chopped out loads already, but I think we might still need to trim.... 3 of us going, two guys, one girl.

Any advice & tips you can give on the below would be smashing :)

24th Dec -Edi to Bangkok
25th Dec - Arrive Bangkok (am)
26th Dec - Overnight train to Chang Mai (10pm)
27th Dec - Arrive Chang Mai (pm)
28th Dec - CM
29th Dec - CM
30th Dec - CM
31st Dec - Flight to Hanoi (am)
1st Jan - Hanoi
2nd Jan - Halong Bay
3rd Jan - Halong Bay
4th Jan - Hanoi
5th Jan - Fly to Phenom Penh (am)
6th Jan - PP
7th Jan - Bus to Siem Reap/Angkor Wat
8th - AW
9th - AW
10th AW
11th - Bus/Ferry to Ko Chang in Thailand
12th - Ko Chang
13th - Ko Chang
14th - Ko Chang
15th - Travel to Bangkok
16th - Fly home! (arrive 10pm)

#1 squaretiger has been a member since 2/8/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 2/8/2012 at 14:19

Looks doable, but make sure your flights are locked in, especially during high season. Chiang Mai - Hanoi I'm sure you're aware there are no direct flights so go via Bangkok (Air Asia) or Vientiane (Lao Airlines). Hanoi - Phnom Penh direct (Vietnam Airlines) or via Bangkok (Air Asia). You should probably also reserve the overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on the 26th.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by busylizzy on 2/8/2012 at 15:08

As Bob says, it's do-able, but there's fair bit of moving around. If I were to give you any advice, I would consider chopping out one destination. For example cut out Hanoi /Halong Bay. Don't get me wrong, I loved Hanoi - but you won't have much time in Hanoi itself: 1.5 days before heading off to Halong Bay, and maybe half to one day when you return, depending on flight time and by the time you phaff around getting to/from airports, checking in/out of hotels, etc. It'll be enough time to get a quick taster but you will be on the move quite a bit. Save costs of flights, airport taxis, visas, etc and look at adding at least one extra day to Phnom Pehn and maybe Siem Reap .

Alternatively, continue with your Hanoi plans but maybe fly direct to Siem Reap cutting out Phnom Penh (you're not there for very long anyhow). Having said that, I'm not sure what flights are available to do that these days.

Or look for other alternatives to cut out one place (depending on where your collective interests lie), and add those days into areas that you are already visiting.

Bottom line, yes it's doable. But it's alot of moving. Take into account the time you will spend getting through the airport, taxi from airport to/from the hotel, checking in at hotel, packing/unpacking, waiting for buses, etc. It's a high portion of what I call 'phaffing around' time - rather than being able to get out and see the countries that you are visiting. When your trip is of a reasonably short duration it's not difficult to keep up the stamina, but I've found that you're whizzing through places without having enough time to appreciate them.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by squaretiger on 10/8/2012 at 05:35

Thanks guys, much appreciated. We'll have a chat and maybe replan some stages.

#4 squaretiger has been a member since 2/8/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by daawgon on 11/8/2012 at 11:39

That time of year will be pretty cool or cold in the Hanoi area - Luang Prabang is always nice and much warmer

#5 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,133
 Send daawgon a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.