Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia in 3 months? help!

Posted by chaplins1980 on 2/8/2012 at 09:54

Hi Everyone

I am plotting our trip around SEA and have come up with what I think is a reasonable route! (he says...!) I just wondered what other people thought about the possibility of it being done in 3 months. My itinery is:

Thailand: Around 4 weeks

Ayutthaya
Sukhothai
Mae Sot
Phrae
Nan
Phrao
Chiang Mai
Chiang Rai

Laos: Around 3 weeks

Luang Prabang
Vientiane
Savannekhet
Pakse
Champassack
Don Khong
Don Det

Cambodia: around 1 - 2 weeks including Thailands Islands

Siem Riep
Battambang

Maybe go down to some of Thailands Islands before heading to Bangkok, any suggestions would be great :)
Then travel to Bangkok and get the train to Butterworth.

Malaysia: Around 2-3 weeks

Travel from Butterworth by bus to Kota Bahru and travel on the jungle rail to Gemas (if anyone has any personal experience of the jungle rail please let me know, thanks)

From Gemmas we will travel to Singapore for our connecting flight

What do you think?
Cheers
Rich

#1 chaplins1980 has been a member since 10/7/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 2/8/2012 at 14:42

Three months is plenty of time to get a good dose of the region and it's helpful to have mentally laid it out with place names and approximate timeframes. In reality most people's plans change as they go. Fall in love with somewhere and decide to linger, meet interesting people and hear intriguing tales and decide to change course, etc. Also nice to get off the beaten path to places like Mae Sot, Nan, Phrae, etc. You might similarly appreciate further north Laos such as Luang Namtha, Muang Sing or even up to Phongsali then work your way to Luang Prabang via Muang Khua, Muang Ngoi, Nong Khiaw then boat to LP.

If it's during dry season Nov-April consider island hopping from Phi Phi or Ko Lanta down to Ko Lipe and Langkawi on Tigerline. Then ferry to Penang and onwards south from Butterworth, etc. If you have time (without rushing) do a side-trip to Malaysian Borneo, climb Mt. Kinabalu, see the orangutan, check out Kuching and the Niah and Mulu caves. Maybe that's too much.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.