Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Vaccintaions for our vacations !?!?!

Posted by TommyKay on 21/8/2012 at 06:37

Hey guys , I appreciate that lots of people have probably asked this same question many many times before but... if somebody could please answer which jabs they would recommend for Thailand, Laos, Vietnam in a four month period before heading on to Australia...?

The problem is im a bit of a tight ass and after forking out for travel insurance for 16months which i have no problem paying as it is definaley a must just as i dont have a problem paying for the jabs i will need on our travels, however my girlfriend seems to want to become the worlds first biggest, walking, living vaccnation. Like she thinks she's gna turn into a medical comic super hero or something...! Which is fine, her money, her choice. I just dont want to spend unesccessary money!

Sorry if I went on a bit of a rant... =P Any response would be greatly appreciated, even if its links to a relevant previous topic,

#1 TommyKay has been a member since 2/11/2011. Posts: 12

Posted by Captain_Bob on 21/8/2012 at 07:36

There are no required vaccinations for the region. However, it's a good idea to consider:
>Hepatitus A/B (three-stage jab)
>Tetanus booster (every 10 years)

The others often mentioned would be Japanese encephalitis and rabies, but only if you're going to work on a farm or bushcamp for extended periods.

Regarding malaria, the risk is low along the tourist trail, the pills some people pop for this can make you ill, and it still doesn't protect from dengue fever which is more of a real risk. Good strategy: don't get bitten by too many mozzies. Apply bug juice, etc.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,910

Posted by busylizzy on 21/8/2012 at 14:56

Perfect advice from Bob! I agree with his view of the 3 vacs as a minimum - and mozzie protection rather than malaria pills.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.