Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Vietnam plan

Posted by tuck60 on 25/9/2012 at 02:32

My friend and I will be coming to Bangkok from India in June2013. We want to see Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam before potentially going on to Malaysia/Singapore. An early route plan we have put together isbelow:
Bangkok - Surat Thani - Koh Samui - Koh Phangan - Krabi -Koh Phi Phi - Koh Lanta - Bangkok - Ayuttaya - Lopburi - Sukhothai - Chiang Mai- Chiang Rai - Pai - Vientiane - Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang - Nong Khai -Aranyaprathet - Siem Reap - Battambang -Phnohm Penh - Sihanoukville - Kampot - Bangkok
Fly to Vietnam
Ha Tien - Can Tho - Ho Chi Minh - Vung Tau - Mui Ne - Da Lat- Nha Trang - Hoi An - Hue - Ha Noi - Ha Long - Lao Cai - Sapa
Is there anything fundamentaly wrong with this that weshould change?
Will be grateful for any tips.
Thanks

#1 tuck60 has been a member since 14/8/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by tinoh on 25/9/2012 at 05:04

You could consider changing a little after Chiang Mai. Take bus to pai, than go to mae hong son by bus and fly back to Chaing Mai. After that go to Chiang Rai. After that it would be logical to go to northern Laos first crossing the border at Chiang Khong. Go to Luang Prabang and than move south toward Vang Vieng/Vientiane and up to Nong Khai.

#2 tinoh has been a member since 13/2/2010. Posts: 40

Posted by Captain_Bob on 25/9/2012 at 06:13

I would do something more like this:
Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Pai - Chiang Rai - Huay Xai - Luang Namtha - Nong Khiaw - Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng - Vientiane - Pakse - Kratie - Siem Reap - Battambang - Phnom Penh - Sihanoukville - HCMC - Nha Trang - Hoi An - Hanoi - Fly to Bangkok (Air Asia) then go hit the southern Thai islands en route to Malaysia, etc.

Remember if you arrive to Thai land visa-exempt you get 30 days by air but only 15 days by land. If this isn't enough get a tourist visa at a Thai consulate (the one in Vientiane is the best). You'll have 3 months within which to use it.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,903

Posted by tuck60 on 25/9/2012 at 09:39

Thanks for the responses.
Captain Bob - why do you the route you suggest would be more suitable?

#4 tuck60 has been a member since 14/8/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by toniandste2012 on 27/9/2012 at 14:58

Hi guys me and the boyff will be in Thailand in 10 days (very excited)!!!! 1 year off from work to lose myself in another world:)

Q. can the Thai travel visa which gives u 3 months be used in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam or do u have to by separate visa for each place as we will be travelling by land (cheap cheap) ??? I'm sure I have looked into this before but i stopped researching about a month ago and my heads gone to mush with excitement now.. thanks x

#5 toniandste2012 has been a member since 25/6/2012. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.