Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

SEA in 5 Months!

Posted by nathanhough on 27/9/2012 at 07:15

Hi all,

My friend and I are looking at 5 months in SEA starting mid April 2013.

This is a list of our route (very rough). Have no idea how many days to spend at each place, we will just take it as it comes.

1. Bangkok
2. Chiang Mai
3. Luang Prabang (Slow Boat)
4. Vang Vieng (We like to have a good time but not destroy ourselves)
5. Vietianne
6. Bus trip from Vietianne to Hanoi (This will be an...experience)
7. Halong Bay
8. Hoi An
9. Nha Trang
10. HCM City
11. Phnom Penh (Rocket Launchers??)
12. Siem Reap
13. Bangkok (Pattaya, Ko Chang?)
14. Bus down to Ko Samui
15. Ko Phangan (Full Moon Party)
16. Ko Tao (Diving)
17. Phuket
18. Ko Phi Phi
19. Indonesia (havn't really done much research on places to go in Indo)
20. Home

We are planning on 1 month in Vietnam, 3 weeks in Laos, 1-2 weeks in Cambodia, 1 month in Thailand if not more, rest in Indonesia. We will be busing and using trains as much as possible (Flying only if we really have to).

We are 22 & 23 years old and enjoy abit of nightlife but aren't a huge fan of getting S*&t faced. Interested in Beaches, Motorbike rides, SEA Cuisine, Diving, Live Music, Markets, Tailored Suits, Caving, a few temple visits, meeting locals and tourists, Kick boxing.

What I would like to know is what shouldn't we miss. What places/tours/destinations should we make sure we go to. If you have found a cool restaurant/bar/area I would like to know. Also any tips you could give me about some places would be a great help. If you see some of our interests and think to yourself "hey I know a place that is perfect for that", let me know.

What should we do in Indonesia, I have no idea?

Thanks for your help,

#1 nathanhough has been a member since 25/9/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by tyler on 28/9/2012 at 00:54

"19. Indonesia (havn't really done much research on places to go in Indo)"
"What should we do in Indonesia, I have no idea?"

There are more than 17 000 islands in Indonesia...Do some thinking and come back with something a bit more specific.
The "rocket launchers" in PP will set you back roughly $200-250US. AK47's and M16's will run you around $50.

#2 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Send tyler a private message   Where has tyler been? 

Posted by nathanhough on 28/9/2012 at 07:01

Hey Tyler,

Thanks for your reply. Good insight on the weaponry.
In regards to Indonesia, i'm looking for peoples first hand experience and knowledge as it has such a large number of islands and is hard to know exactly where to go.

#3 nathanhough has been a member since 25/9/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by nasmej11 on 28/9/2012 at 22:05

in indonesia, follow the train route....

#4 nasmej11 has been a member since 16/12/2009. Posts: 35
 Send nasmej11 a private message 

Posted by Geer1 on 30/9/2012 at 22:47

Make sure you look into the climates for all your locations and when you would plan on being there before you go.

I was planning a trip to Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand - Malaysia starting in Nov and ending in Feb and had been thinking about Indonesia etc. Then after more researching I realized that Vietnam is quite wet in Nov/Dec and that the east side of Malaysia is monsoon until March. Indonesia is wet season Nov-Mar. Thailand, Cambodia and Laos are wet Aug-Oct and stupid hot Mar-June.

It really makes it difficult to see all the places at one time. What I have decided to do is go Thailand - Laos - Cambodia - Vietnam instead to have decent weather and then if I am feeling really ambitious could fly to Malaysia and do that and then Indonesia etc or else come back and do Malaysia - Indonesia - Philippines another trip.

Anyway, just saying make sure the climates make sense for your trip, I found it was a lot harder to plan around then initially thought.

#5 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by tyler on 30/9/2012 at 23:26

Indonesia - consider looking into Bali and Java. A couple of weeks in Bali and the same in Java. This site is a great resource for those 2 places. You won't have crowds in Java and if you head to the north of Bali you'll find less travellers.
It is an "easier" part of Indonesia to get around - specifically Bali - for a first timer. Some of the more popular places you can look into going - in no specific order - Tanah Lot, Pemuteran, Ahmed, Lovina, Ubud, Ijen, Bromo, Prambanan, Borobudur...
All of these places are easily accessed by train, bus, taxi or motorbike. Learn a few phrases in Bahasa to help yourself out!
Don't stress about the weather - especially in Bali and Java. It is my experience that the timing of the monsoons is less reliable. And if you find yourself somewhere and the rain is disrupting your ability to enjoy yourself then get yourself a cheap flight out! No big deal.
The only place - this is my experience travelling in SEA from January until April - that the rains kept me from getting too was east Malaysia. The train tracks were under water!
Depending on your mood you can bring your own chicken to the shooting gallery outside PP :) Different strokes for different folks...

#6 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Send tyler a private message   Where has tyler been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.