Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Budget and Itinerary for 65 days in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia

Posted by Floppy on 2/10/2012 at 10:53

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on going to South East Asia for 65 days, leaving on Nov 7 2012 and returning on Jan 10 2013.
The current plan:
Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai - Chiang Khong - Huay Xai - Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng - Vientiane - Tha Khaek - Dansavanh - Lao Bao - Hue - Da Nang - Hoi An - Nha Trang - Mui Ne - Saigon / Ho Chi Minh - Can Tho - Ha Tien - Prek Chak - Sihanoukville - Phnom Penh - Siem Reap - O Smach - Chong Jom - Buri Ram - Pattaya - Bangkok

I have an itinerary planned out but would love some input from the community on what to add or remove from the planned itinerary. When I look at it now it looks as I may be trying to fit too much in too fast. I am open to suggestions and have created a Google DOC spreadsheet with the destinations. It is openly editable by anyone who views it via the URL so feel free to edit if you have any suggestions. I know that over planning will go out the window once over there but I would like to have a basic plan that is possible without rushing and spending more time traveling and recovering that actually having a good time and experiencing the area.

I am budgeting US$25-30 a day for food and a place to sleep (Hostels or Guest houses). This is more than I would like and plan to spend per day but I like to budget over what I am expecting. I have placed US$500 aside for transport within SEA and US$1000 for activities/drinks/experiences. I will have a US$500 in an emergency fund that will only be used for unexpected needs/costs or in emergencies. I will have travel insurance and I am not taking the cost of the flight into account in this budget. Like I said it is more than I plan to spend and I plan to budget tighter while traveling but I don't want to come home and realise that I spent way more than expected. All feedback is welcome.

Daily Budget: US$25-30
Total Daily Expense Budget: US$ 1625-1950
Transport Budget: US$500
Fun Budget: US$1000
Emergency Funds: US$500

Google Spreadsheet for my trip:

Minnesota, USA

#1 Floppy has been a member since 16/8/2012. Location: United States. Posts: 1
 Send Floppy a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.