Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Nature and best outdoor activities

Posted by cath2006uk on 5/10/2012 at 23:11

Hey!

I'm currently travelling in Thailand and at the 3rd week of a 3 month trip before heading onto New Zealand for 2 months. I'm thinking this area of the world may not be for me... I'm not such a big fan of Thai cities and urban areas, BUT did really enjoyed my overnight treks in the jungle and the elephant park. So I want to now base my trip around seeing as much nature, stunning scenery, wilderness and doing lots of trekking and outdoor activities (without breaking the bank). Knowing this, where MUST I go and what things must I do in S.E.Asia?!

Thank you in advance :D

#1 cath2006uk has been a member since 3/3/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by caseyprich on 6/10/2012 at 02:23

Are you flying to New Zealand from Bangkok? Curious about where you'd want to end up, how far afield you want to go. Not sure if you're back in in BKK now or up north having just finished your treks. If you are up north I'd recommend working your way through Northern Laos for a month, you could speed things up a little and make it down to Tha Khaek for the caves and motorbike around there. Also the Bolaven Plateau has some great waterfalls to scope out for a week long motorbike trip based out of Pakse . . you could then go down and relax seeing Wat Phu in Champaskae, maybe float to 4,000 Islands.

That's not even to say all the nice stuff in Vietnam, though it is a bit more urban than Laos . . . I also really enjoyed Java and Lombok in Indonesia, here Sumatra offers some inexpensive hiking opportunities.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 6/10/2012 at 07:07

Khao Sok NP is awesome
Just wait a while first, there's a massive rainy storm heading through mid/south Thailand the next few days. http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/wp201221.html

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by goonistik on 6/10/2012 at 22:20

I really enjoy white water rafting; there must be several places to do it in Thailand. A multi-day trip will cost several thousand baht and a single day trip will be around 1500 to 2000 baht.

#4 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.