Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Backpacking route

Posted by wmw120894 on 17/11/2012 at 04:46

Hi all!

This is my first solo backpacking trip. Would like to seek your opinion on the viability of this route.

Flying on 3 dec from Singapore --> Ho chi minh --> Hoi an --> Hue --> Hanoi --> Vientiane --> Phnom Penh --> Siem reap --> Bangkok --> Koh Tao --> Bang kok --> Chiang Mai --> Bang kok

I'm wondering if it's better to fly into Bangkok from Singapore and go to Chiangmai followed by Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back in BK. Or to proceed with my route..

Also, wondering if US$2000 (excluding air tickets) is enough for roughly a month.

Do let met know your opinion! Very much appreciated!

Cheers!

#1 wmw120894 has been a member since 17/11/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by antoniamitchell on 17/11/2012 at 08:29

Hi there,

Firstly I'd say you're trying to pack quite a lot into one month - you might find you enjoy the trip more if you give yourself more time in each place before you move on.

Budget wise, you haven't mentioned your travel style. You've got more than enough, assuming you're a standard backpacker or flashpacker (which is good with the schedule, because you'll probably want to use some internal flights to save you transport time).

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 516
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by caseyprich on 17/11/2012 at 20:34

Budget should be fine for a month - you've got roughly 60 USD a day and when you can stay in a guesthouse for 5-10USD and eat a meal for 2USD I think you'll be fine. Alternate really cheap days with some splurges.

My only concern, like the above, is how much you are trying to fit into a month. I'd choose to see just one of these countries in that time - however, if you are looking for a sample tour to see where you'd like to spend more time in the future . . . well, even then I think you need to cut something out.

Possible path: Vietnam then fly to PP and work your way through SR to BKK (fairly quickly). See how much time you have left and if it is enough go up to Chiang Mai for a couple nights then down to the islands to end your stay relaxing with beach time - or skip Chiang Mai and go directly to the islands (I always recommend ending on the beach). This way you've got something like under two weeks for Vietnam, a week for PP . . .and then probably a week for BKK and Ko Tao . . .

To save on Visa expense you could skip Cambodia and instead fly Hanoi to Chiang Mai (not sure that is possible) and hit CM, Sukhothai on the way down to BKK to see some temple ruins. That would make it just a Vietnam-Thailand trip.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by Saphir on 26/11/2012 at 01:16

No-one can know how much money another person will require.

#4 Saphir has been a member since 19/5/2009. Posts: 74
 Where has Saphir been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.