Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

SE Asia route??

Posted by baker77 on 23/11/2012 at 07:32

Hi Guys,
The gf & i are planning on travelling around South East Asia for around 7-8 weeks.
We will be flying in from the uk and visiting the usual Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, however not sure where the best place is to start our trip and what route to take from there, our only plans are we would like to finish in Singapore.
Suggestions and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks

#1 baker77 has been a member since 23/11/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 23/11/2012 at 15:41

There's quite a few suggested itineraries on this site. Suggest you start here to get an overall idea of where to start planning: https://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1

Of course, you may also want to take weather into account to avoid the worst of the rainy season in some areas. There is weather information found for each Country listed on this website - just follow the links at the top. eg Places->Thailand-> Weather.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by buland on 28/11/2012 at 03:40

you should start from thailand. it is not just cheap but also you will get some beautiful site to see.

#3 buland has been a member since 28/11/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by buland on 28/11/2012 at 03:43

i just forget you to address that if you are willing to visit thailand then you shouldn't miss malaysia & singapore.

#4 buland has been a member since 28/11/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by caseyprich on 28/11/2012 at 05:14

If you're not sure where to start from . . . there is always the option to start AND finish in Singapore. I usually find return flights are significantly cheaper than one-way, and for the long haul that can make a big difference in overall price. You'll probably get a good deal for UK to Singapore, otherwise your best option is probably Bangkok.

I'd personally recommend flying into and out of BKK to do your loop of SE Asia (Thailand up to the north (Chiang Mai)-Northern Laos into Vietnam/Hanoi, down the coast to HCMC - into Cambodia - back via Siem Reap to BKK . . . so long as weather would be accommodating . . . or just reverse that usual loop). At the end of the trip on the way from Cambodia to Thailand you could stop in Ko Chang area for some beach time to relax after the hard moving . . . or from BKK fly to any of the islands that may have better weather or be more your style.

That said -if you are really interested in Singapore or have people to see there, it adds a price to your overall trip.

For flight info I really like: http://www.skyscanner.com/

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by buland on 28/11/2012 at 05:43

i think your idea is great

#6 buland has been a member since 28/11/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by baker77 on 28/11/2012 at 09:47

Many thanks for all advise guys, the plan why to finish in Singapore is so we can catch a cheap flight to Perth, Australia from.
To make our planning more difficult, we need to plan around weather as well, as we are planning on setting off from the uk in June, where ive heard is hit and miss around SE Asia.

#7 baker77 has been a member since 23/11/2012. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.