Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Thailand/Laos/Cambodia 25 days HELP

Posted by abbyroad on 8/1/2013 at 11:47

Hi! I just booked a spur of the moment ticket to Thailand for about 21 days in Jan/Feb .. I really want to travel through Cambodia,Thailand and Laos. Due to the last minute nature of this trip I have had no time to do any research and would really appreciate some guidance. I will be traveling with one other person. I am wondering what the best route might look like, and what the best way to cross over from Thailand to Laos to Cambodia back to Thailand might look like!.. Preferably I would like to take an overnight but to either Cambodia or Laos the night we arrive and then end in Bangkok where out flight leaves at the end of the trip! Any help would be awesome! Thank you!

#1 abbyroad has been a member since 8/1/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by tyler on 8/1/2013 at 17:34

3 countries in 25 days...minus time for jetlag, minus time getting to and from airport, minus time in between transport (bus, trains, taxi, tuk tuk...planes), minus time getting from said transport to hostel, guesthouse... Not 25 days anymore!
You will need the better part of a day to get to each destination if it is more than a few hours away. I know it is last minute for you but, dude, you won't see much more than a blur out of your bus window the entire time.
If you really want to do this - fly. Everywhere.
I'd advise you to stick to Thailand. Maybe with a quick 'out' to Siem Reap if you wanted to get to Angkor.
How long is your initial flight? What do you want to do? What is your budget? - this information can help us with the advice.
But, IMO, way too much and way too little time...

#2 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/1/2013 at 20:49 admin

I agree with Tyler, but if you MUST see all three, I'd do something like:

Arrive Bangkok, overnight and get a morning flight to Luang Prabang (it's expensive, around 11,000 baht with Bangkok Airways, but given your time frame and you didn't indicate a budget). There are no intentionally overnight buses between Bangkok and Siem Reap.

Luang Prabang 3 days
Vang Vieng 2 days
Vientiane 2 days

Fly Vientiane to Phnom Penh with Lao Airlines (around $185)
3 days Phnom Penh
3 days Siem Reap
Overland to Ko Chang (route explained here)
4 days on Ko Chang or one of the other islands in the group
1 day Bangkok
2 days Kanchanaburi then back to Bangkok & exit

If you don't want to fly the above I think you have to drop a country -- if I had to choose I'd drop Laos as Thailand and Cambodia via together well if all you really want to see is Angkor Wat. Plus if you drop Laos it gives you more time to see Thailand, for example Chiang Mai or Sukhothai in the north or any of the islands in the south.

Cheers

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by tyler on 9/1/2013 at 00:09

"There are no intentionally overnight buses between Bangkok and Siem Reap." - That is funny!

#4 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by altmtl on 9/1/2013 at 03:20

I agree with Tyler as well - Thailand with a side trip to Angkor Wat.

#5 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by abbyroad on 13/1/2013 at 01:05

Thanks for the help everyone!

#6 abbyroad has been a member since 8/1/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by SoloHobo on 13/1/2013 at 06:08

Thailand has a lot to offer, and you should savor all of it, it is a very exotic country on many levels. Add Angkor Wat for 2/3 nights as its as important and amazing area to explore. If you can fly from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap that is an option, but I think you need to connect inn 1-2 cities first..maybe I am wrong-3 countries in 21 days will not give any country justice, especially if budget travel and on ground transport.

#7 SoloHobo has been a member since 12/1/2013. Posts: 10

Posted by DSawyer on 13/1/2013 at 22:23

OK...My two cents...arrive Bangkok...give yourself 2 days to get your legs under you...on the morning of the third day take the Government bus from Mo Chit station...You'll want to do this trip no later than 5:30 am. You will arrive at the boarder crossing before 10 am or right around that time.Cross Into Cambodia and take a taxi to Siem Reap...you should arrive at about 3-4 pm...I highly recommend the Golden Temple Villa.From there stay around for the full 3 day pass to Angkor and maybe and xtra day to take in the town.The return trip to the boarder is cheaper and mostly hassle free.

Spend a night back in Bangkok and then fly south to Phuket or Krabi ...I did this itinerary two years ago and I had a fantastic time.
I went sea kayaking with john grey sea canoe,while staying in Kata beach for 2 nights ...went to Phi Phi for a few nights chartered my own fan tail to hit up the neighboring islands.took the ferry to Krabi and stayed at Railey for 4 nights..got to chill, do a little hiking
laze in the sun and booked a kayak/snorkel trip to Ko Hong(fantastic day). Returned to Bangkok and spent a few more days taking in the city before I flew Home...I had 21 days on the ground...It was fantastic...so with 25 you have a little extra wiggle room
HAVE FUN!!!

#8 DSawyer has been a member since 9/1/2013. Posts: 48

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.