Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Travelling Wet Season, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam

Posted by daneo on 27/1/2013 at 19:28

Hi their, my girlfriend and i will be leaving Australia at the start of may and intend to travel to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam.
We would like to travel approx 4months, backpacking, working on around 30days per country, so May-August. Travelfish has a detailed itinary of the region we planned on following https://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1
My question is where should we start to make the most of these countries, without getting too affected by rain? your advice would be greatly appreciated.

#1 daneo has been a member since 27/1/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/1/2013 at 03:31 admin

You're going to get some rain.

If you start in Vietnam you'll get some good weather, but June July and August is pretty much the wet when it comes to Laos and Cambodia and parts of Thailand. Southeast Thailand (so islands like Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Samui and Ko Tao ) are pretty good though in July and August so perhaps just assume you'll get wet in the middle and have some sun at the start and the end.

Bychance we just published a story on the best beaches on KoPhaNgan -- could be useful for end of trip planning :)

At the end of the day, remember monsoon doesn't mean all day rain every day -- you will get some rain, most days. Some places, for eg Angkor Wat in Cambodia are lovely in the wet and the crowds are lower, so those rain clouds do have a silver lining :)

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.