Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary for a new solo-Backpacker

Posted by Caceres on 31/1/2013 at 17:46

Hi I'm trying to plan my first solo-backpacking trip about 2-3months long ( or as long as money will allow) and would greatly appreciate any advice/info
I've never been to se Asia but hear its a great place to start solo traveling, I'm looking for this to be more of an cultural experience than a drunken memorie, lol
Sry about any miss- spelling, I'm very bad at that... Lol

I'm curious about:
1) how much the trip would cost ( not including airfare, visa, vaccinations)

2) how to communicate? (I only speak English)
3) any good meaty food? ( I'm going to try an eat outside my comfort lv but I'm not bigg on veggies...)
4) I want to take a boat down the Mekong rv. We're is the best place to do that?

5) what are some MUST TRY food dishes?
6) what are some must see places?

So I'm not sure if this rout even works, but this was my idea

THAILAND, LAOS, CAMBODIA

---THAILAND---
1)Bangkok-ayutthaya
2) Ayutthaya-lopburi
3) lopburi- phitsanulok
4) phitsanulok- sukhothai
5) sukhothai- lampang
6) lampang- nan
7) nan-Chiang rai
8 ) Chiang rai- Chiang khong
9)---LAOS---
10) pakbeng- Louangphrabang
11) Louangphrabang- vang vieng
12) vang vieng- Vientiane
13) Vientiane- tha khaek
14) tha khaek- savannakhet
15) savannakhet- pakse
16) pakse- don khon
17)---CAMBODIA---
18) ban lung-kratie
19) kratie- kompong Cham
20) kompong Cham- phnom penh
21) Phnom Penh- Battambang
22) Battambang- Siem reap
23) Siem rep- sisophon
24) sisophon- poipet
25) back to Bangkok, Thailand maybe do some island an beach time?
How does this look? Am I trying to see too much?

#1 Caceres has been a member since 16/5/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 31/1/2013 at 22:27 admin

That's a very typical route with the exception of skipping Chiang Mai in northern Thailand and you could comfortably cover that in three months.

1) How much would it cost? Ahhhh difficult to say as it depends on your budget! $40-50 a day would be plenty for a budget trip -- could go lower if you were careful with your money, but you do have quite a bit of travel in there which will fill out your costs a bit.

2) In most of the tourist centre you'll be fine with English a smile and a willingness to use sign language if need be!

3) Lots!

4) The boat trip is covered in the Huay Xai to Luang Prabang portion of your trip.

5&6) Take a bit of a look through the site -- lots of info to answer these two :)

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Rukus on 1/2/2013 at 07:16

English is good for the tourist areas yes, but if you want a cultural experience toy well be going outside the tourist areas for the most part, and your definition of cultural experience. I always try and pick up and learn language of whatever country I'm in as most of the time I'm off the beaten track. A simple English to (country) dictionary is fine and hand signals as you build your vocabulary.

#3 Rukus has been a member since 28/10/2011. Posts: 22
 Send Rukus a private message 

Posted by Caceres on 1/2/2013 at 18:50

thank you guys, im going to start working on my sign language. and i must say this forum has helped me plan my trip greatly :)
any other advice on living like a local/native in SE asia? living like a local is my idea of a great trip/ cultural experience.

#4 Caceres has been a member since 16/5/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Rita_Z on 13/2/2013 at 16:52

When do you get to Bangkok? i am looking at pretty much the same route, but also want to see Vietnam then back to Thailand for a few islands. I fly into Bangkok on the 19th April..maybe our dates match?

#5 Rita_Z has been a member since 31/8/2011. Posts: 29
 Send Rita_Z a private message 

Posted by Rita_Z on 13/2/2013 at 16:53

When do you get to Bangkok? i am looking at pretty much the same route, but also want to see Vietnam then back to Thailand for a few islands. I fly into Bangkok on the 19th April..maybe our dates match?

#6 Rita_Z has been a member since 31/8/2011. Posts: 29
 Send Rita_Z a private message 

Posted by SeemaSEA2013 on 27/2/2013 at 20:14

Hey Rita,

Let me know what your dates are, Im travelling then too

seema

#7 SeemaSEA2013 has been a member since 11/2/2013. Posts: 19
 Send SeemaSEA2013 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.