Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

border crossing visa Thailand?!

Posted by ellie1990 on 22/2/2013 at 09:35

hey there.
i am currently travelling through south east Asia, planning to be out of Cambodia on the 24th of march and stay on the islands until the 7th of April, flying out of Bangkok on the 8th!!!! my friend and i are confused on the length of time allowed at the border crossing from Cambodia back into Thailand, as we would be for about 17days but im not sure if the land border crossing visas are for 15days only?!

any help asap would be great!

Thankyou!

x ellie

#1 ellie1990 has been a member since 10/1/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by Captain_Bob on 22/2/2013 at 10:11

Arriving to Thailand without visa in hand many nationalities (yours?) get visa-exempt entry of 30 days by air but only 15 days by land.

Other options:
1. delay your re/entry a couple days so 15 becomes enough time
2. fly into Thailand to get 30 days
3. extend the visa-exempt entry seven days at immigration for 1900 baht
4. get a tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by ellie1990 on 26/2/2013 at 04:11

hi
thanks for replying.
we are british, so whats the deal with it?
what is option 3 about?
we will definitely be crossing the border by land in cambodia, and then what, we can pay 1900 baht at the immigration office on the border for an extra 7 days?!

thanks
ellie

#3 ellie1990 has been a member since 10/1/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by Captain_Bob on 26/2/2013 at 05:28

Just counting out your days (arrive 24 March depart 8 April) I see you're actually staying 16 days so normally it would be considered a 1-day overstay, but if departing by air there is a 1-day amnesty on the overstay rule, so you would not be fined by Immigration. You may as well take advantage of that, but don't get caught by regular police during that final day when technically they could make trouble for you. Once you're at the airport you're OK. Make sense?

If that worries you, go to any Immigration office nationwide and pay 1900 baht for the 7-day extension. Might be possible at the border but note entirely sure if they will do it there. Doesn't hurt to ask.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.